My customer has a corrupted PS 1.7.7.5 - Whats the best way forward

My customer has a corrupted PS 1.7.7.5 - Whats the best way forward

For what ever reason my customer has been trying to reconfigure his installation, core, module and template files.

All installed modules have been disabled and deleted. Noticed however deleting a module does not delete its mysql data ??

Template has been deleted, and I am on the PS default template only.

The way forward so far - Tried downloading and installing new virgin PS v1.7.75 with the thoughts of just transfering mysql data. But trying to install the new PS v1.7.7.5 I keep getting error message "The page isn’t redirecting properly error occurred during a connection to xyz.co.uk. This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies." Tried installing a number of time but getting same error. Tried installing v1.7.7.6 and I get the same error. Thought I would try installing PS v1.7.8 and it installed all OK.

So I have a number of options that I am looking for guidance on. Both have there good and bad points. Any guidance is sought.

1 - Do I manually copy new virgin PS v1.7.7.5 files and over write the existing corrupted version.

2 - Do I export and import mysql data into new PS 1.7.8