issues with 1.7.8 for the checkout, then issues reverting back to 1.7.7

So I first had issues with the checkout, there was a 500 server error thrown:

[Wed Nov 03 18:14:52.942411 2021] [php7:error] [pid 238973] [client xx] PHP Fatal error:  Access level to SaferpayCw_LayoutController::$page_name must be public (as in class ModuleFrontController) in /var/www/html/myshop/modules/saferpaycw/lib/SaferpayCw/LayoutController.php on line 30, referer: https://myshop

Then I tried to revert back to version 1.7.7, which failed, and now the shop is down for good:

[Wed Nov 03 18:27:07.941129 2021] [php7:error] [pid 238993] [client xx] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getName() on null in /var/www/html/myshop/config/config.inc.php:122\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/myshop/admin/index.php(40): require()\n#1 {main}\n  thrown in /var/www/html/myshop/config/config.inc.php on line 122, referer: https://myshop/admin/index.php?controller=AdminSelfUpgrade&token=3d0219119f80e7987c95775c8e94458a

[Wed Nov 03 22:28:54.598932 2021] [php7:warn] [pid 238973] [client xx] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/html/myshop/classes/shop/Shop.php on line 346

What are your ideas? How to revert back manually?

Edited by CChriss
added tags (see edit history)

I've had problems going back through the tool before. I solved this by using PHPmyadmin to restore the database from a backup.

First of all, you should definitely create a backup (database / data).
Then you can restore the backup via PHPmyadmin in peace and see whether that was enough

Edited by craneparts (see edit history)

On 11/4/2021 at 1:15 PM, craneparts said:

I've had problems going back through the tool before. I solved this by using PHPmyadmin to restore the database from a backup.

First of all, you should definitely create a backup (database / data).
Then you can restore the backup via PHPmyadmin in peace and see whether that was enough

Thanks for your answer, I haven't tried anything yet because I opened a ticket with Prestashop, but I found out that they are not working on Saturdays..

Once this is solved and I have figured out a way to import the data to the new shop, I'll move away from Prestashop for good.

I ended up using a server backup from my backup software and not PrestaShop.

There are sources saying version 1.7.7 doesn't work with php7.4. Well I have found that it DOES work with 7.4 and not with 7.3, at least not for me. And I lost many hours trying to make it work.

Now, about upgrading to 1.7.8.0 how would you suggest I test the upgrade? I won't risk using the messy 1-click Upgrade ever again in production.

40 minutes ago, CChriss said:

There are sources saying version 1.7.7 doesn't work with php7.4. Well I have found that it DOES work with 7.4 and not with 7.3, at least not for me. And I lost many hours trying to make it work.

The sources are right - you might get it running with 7.4. but there will be most probably error in some functions. Whenever you are changing the PHP version you have to clear /var/cache - maybe this was missing on your side!?

41 minutes ago, CChriss said:

Now, about upgrading to 1.7.8.0 how would you suggest I test the upgrade? I won't risk using the messy 1-click Upgrade ever again in production.

Always do any change on your shop on a test-clone before. And always take additional backups before doing upgrades on prodcution. In general 1-click upgrades work well but I would never trust their restore method, better restore from server backup in case of issues

23 minutes ago, JBW said:

Always do any change on your shop on a test-clone before. And always take additional backups before doing upgrades on prodcution. In general 1-click upgrades work well but I would never trust their restore method, better restore from server backup in case of issues

Taking daily backups now of /var/www/html and the database, separate from the normal server backups.

Test-clone: that's the idea but I have to figure out how to tell apache how to handle the clone.

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, CChriss said:

I ended up using a server backup from my backup software and not PrestaShop.

Here is the source you are referring too :)

• 4 months later...

just to inform, also an issue with 1.7.8 : creating subcategories will not work anymore.
Reverted back with the 1 click upgrade causing a complete 500 error. Tried it again, start working again.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, elpesaobob said:

the 1 click upgrade is only problems and errors i try to update the 1.7.6 to 1.7.8 and they are only problems, I am already convinced that it is best to install a clean version of 1.7.8 trying to migrate the previous info

I upgraded to 1.7.8 and then to 8.0.1 thru the 1 click, my site had many errors which I struggled with, I then hired a full stack developer from fiverr, it cost me $35 US and about 30mins of his time and the site is running perfectly now on 8.0.1 with php 8.1 and MariaDB, in fact the site is lightening fast now the difference is chalk and cheese, I can give you the name of the developer I used if you wish.

10 hours ago, dragon_sa said:

I upgraded to 1.7.8 and then to 8.0.1 thru the 1 click, my site had many errors which I struggled with, I then hired a full stack developer from fiverr, it cost me $35 US and about 30mins of his time and the site is running perfectly now on 8.0.1 with php 8.1 and MariaDB, in fact the site is lightening fast now the difference is chalk and cheese, I can give you the name of the developer I used if you wish.

yes please send me a dm thank you