Emails not sending in 1.7.7.1 (after tons of research and reading these forums)

Glen MacPherson

My host is SiteGround, and I can use PHP Sendmail in other applications with no issues. When I use /usr/sbin/sendmail in 1.7.7.1 I get:

"Error: Please check your configuration

Expected response code 220 but got an empty response"

-------------------------------------------

When I switch to SMTP, using these settings provided SiteGround tech support:

Mail domain name: mydomain

SMTP Server: mydomain

SMTP Username: me@mydomain

SMTP Password: password (I've triple checked this)

Encryption: SSL

Port: 465

The result is:

Error: Please check your configuration.

------------------------------------

NOTE: I found it odd that both the domain name and the SMTP Server name were both simply "mydomain", but the tech fellow told me that was correct. When I change to unencrypted using Port 25, the error is the same.

When I change the SMTP servername to: SMTP.mydomain I get:

Error: Please check your configuration

Connection could not be established with host SMTP.MYDOMAIN :stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to SMTP.MYDOMAIN:25 (Connection timed out)

-------------------------------

When I change the SMTP server to mail.mydomain, I again get: Error: Please check your configuration

The logs are showing nothing:

tech.thumb.png.5b63d62dc2244c1777a0d796a59cc056.png

• 2 weeks later...

It was one of the most frustrating tech issues I've ever dealt with. I put at least 20 hours into it.

I use 2FA Authentication on Gmail, and so I followed these instructions (or possibly another site that had the same instructions). https://support.cloudways.com/configure-gmail-smtp/

Let me know if you can't make it work - I might be able to help you further.

Cheers

Glen

Hi Glen, I think I finally made it work. I'm on dedicated server (SoyouStart) and Ubuntu 20.04 OS that I have installed didn't have Sendmail so I installed it by following these instructions: https://www.cier.tech/blog/tech-tutorials-4/post/how-to-install-and-configure-sendmail-on-ubuntu-35

It finally seems to be working (hard to believe it gave me such a hard time!) by using the first option for Email in Prestashop: 

Use /usr/sbin/sendmail (recommended; works in most cases)

I also use [email protected] for Shop email (it seems to be important according to some forums..) 

Writing this here in case someone could find it useful. 

• 1 month later...

@Glen MacPherson I am struggling with this so much. I have pretty much everything else sorted but cannot get outgoing emails to work at all. I tried to set it up with my ionos hosted domain email but that wouldn't work at all and then tried to set up with Gmail account but it still returns an error when generating the test email. Can anyone help at all?

Thank you Glen for responding, this is the first thing I havent been able to get a solution for everything else i have managed to sort along the way (I am no web developer just picking it up as I go)

When I enter the details I get the following message. I have checked and rechecked and even changed the password in case I was getting it wrong but I know its good. I have also tried the TLS setting but that didnt work either. 

I am wondering if you have to have gmail workplace set up as I think this is just set up as a general personal gmail account. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

image.thumb.png.dbe275871157000f9716b2cc1c049575.png

image.png.fb1af429967ca2a552100f3ec77a41a3.png

• 1 month later...

I know how terribly frustrating it is - I was on the verge of giving up. One other fellow on this forum had no choice but to pay for a plugin that apparently works well. I was doing the site for a friend, so I wasn't willing to do that. The plugin in question is not terribly expensive. I imagine you've already read the post and plugin I'm referring to, but I can go find it again if need be.

• 2 years later...