How to backup and restore your Prestashop in cPanel with Backup Wizard

Bees

Hi, I use Prestashop version 1.6.1.24 and cPanel/namecheap as my host/server. I'm wondering how to go about saving and restoring. (Really want to make sure I have it figured out before I mess with any code trying to add my Facebook Pixel ID.)

In cPanel, you can go to the File Section where there is an icon called "Backup" and one that says "Backup Wizard"

When I go to "Backup Wizard" and "Full Backup" I get this warning: Note: You can only use this option to move your account to another server or to download a copy of your account. You cannot restore Full Backups through your cPanel interface.

So, I must have to use the "Partial Backup" Which is split into "Home Directory" and "MySQL databases"... so, do I download backups of both the Home Directory and my presta2 SQL and then upload them both into the wizard to restore? Do I just restore the database? Also, they are .gz files... Do those need to be unzipped before I upload them to restore?

Thanks so much for any advice - I'm super nervous about messing up my site and want to be 100% clear on what I'm doing.

Hi Bees,
There are many tutorials how to do this. The general rule is to zip the folder where all the Prestashop files are and export the mysql database which is connected with the shop. You can do this using phpmyadmin. This is how you backup your store

Hi,

well, yes, you will have to create separately a backup for the files and one for the database.

The backup created from the files will be an archive, preferable *.tar.gz when you're creating it, and for the database you will have a *.sql.gz .

The database archive can be re-imported from PhpMyAdmin and will replace the database.

I recommend that you should create a DEV folder, or dev subdomain to your shop, and ask the ghosting to duplicate there your shop, or also you can do that by extracting into the DEV folder the files archive(using filemanager in cpanel), and create a new DEV Database, and import there the database dump, then connect the DEV folder's /app/config/parameters.php to the newly created DEV database, then clear cache, re-save Seo&friendly page.

This way you will have a copy of your site, a DEV site where you can first test any module updates, or even PS upgrades. After it's done, don't forget to put your DEV site in Maintenance and block it with robots.txt

Kind regards, Leo