Contact page not working

CJH

I have a newly developed site in 1.7.7.0 (not an upgrade) and, about to go live and going through testing features, I have found the contact form is not operational and need some help ...

Email is set up to use SMTP (the other option returned an error) - the test email works fine, as does any email sent by a customer on registration or placing an order. The problem with the form is that the Send button is not active. When the fields are completed, it does not become active (always a circle with a line through it for 'no'). This does not appear to be theme related (I had another site part built using the classic theme and it doesn't work in that either). I do not have any captur or similar software installed that might block this. Debug does nothing (the button does nothing, so no error is reported).

I'm totally out of ideas - need help because I cannot put a site live without a functioning contact page ...

And only posting after trying for hours, I straight away find a solution. I looked in contactform.tpl in my theme and found a hook for displaying GDPR consent, and recalled I had turned this on in the native GDPR module. But no checkbox for accepting the policy appeared on the contact form. Once I turned that off in the GDPR compliance module, the button became active and I could sent the message successfully.

Looks like a bug - this is the native contact form / or the theme module, plus GDPR module - the checkbox isn't appearing and therefore it is not checked to accept sending, so the button is not active. It is also not down to clearing cache (in BO, browser, or by deleting /var ... none of these helped).