Any United State Prestashop User Here? How Do You solve the automated Tax Calculation Problem?

Tounphic

Hi, 

I am new user of Prestashop, I have searched everywhere I can find, but I can not find any module to solve the Automated Sales Tax calculation problem in US market. In US, there are thousands of tax rates for different place, so that without the Automated calculation, it is impossible to sell online. Anyone knows how to solve this problem? Especially, Is there any United State user can share your solution of this problem? Thank you, Any comments will be welcome.

I'm not using USA settings but with v1.7.6.8, from Admin, down the left, you should see Improve / International. There are sub headings including Localization and Taxes. Check the taxes first to see if state rates are there. If not, go to Localization and import the localization pack for USA.

Once this is done, go back to Taxes and you should see all the state tax rates already available. Obviously check they're right.

These I presume  then kick in when a customer from a given state places an order.

Hope that helps.

Edited by WjaLtd
extra info (see edit history)

12 hours ago, WjaLtd said:

I'm not using USA settings but with v1.7.6.8, from Admin, down the left, you should see Improve / International. There are sub headings including Localization and Taxes. Check the taxes first to see if state rates are there. If not, go to Localization and import the localization pack for USA.

Once this is done, go back to Taxes and you should see all the state tax rates already available. Obviously check they're right.

These I presume  then kick in when a customer from a given state places an order.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply. The tax rule function of PS V1.7.6.8 is just a very basic function. In fact, in US market, the sales tax rate is base on the city, not just State, so even the orders are from the same State, the tax rate could be different. Further more, the tax rate changes over time without notification. Merchant has to check the local rate every time when receiving the online order, if does not have automated tax calculation. This is an impossible mission.

5 hours ago, Tounphic said:

Thank you for your reply. The tax rule function of PS V1.7.6.8 is just a very basic function. In fact, in US market, the sales tax rate is base on the city, not just State, so even the orders are from the same State, the tax rate could be different. Further more, the tax rate changes over time without notification. Merchant has to check the local rate every time when receiving the online order, if does not have automated tax calculation. This is an impossible mission.

You can create your own rates too but it sounds like it needs some sort of regular updating.
What a crazy system !
We often hear this over here from American visitors how they like the fact that the price they see is the price they pay. We still have two or three rates but the customer never sees them.

Sorry, I can't help with the automated side of things but with javascript or php, it should be possible. I'm not proficient in either.

• 3 years later...

I don't know if this is closed or not, but I am in the US and need to figure out taxes.  I may ship any product (we have about 2500) to any location in the US (only).  I need to be able to calculate tax based on the delivery state.  I did all of the steps in setting up taxes and tax rules thru the import, the customer groups are all set to include taxes in the cart.  But I cannot seem to get the tax to be calculated in the checkout.  Shipping works fin e but taxes are always $0.

I am using Pshop 8.1.3.  Any ideas??