new registratins get hash sized passwords instead of the ones they created after update to 1.4.0.17

since i upgraded today to 1.4.0.17 all new registrations get a huge long password sent to them in their welcom email, why is this?
the message they get is
Your account login details

E-mail address: [email protected]
Password: c8457e55aca4ed2c8941b83b78bf86e4

obviously i just made that up but thats what anyone who registers gets now, can anyone help?
help in this place from prestashop themselves is a rare event, so has anyone had the same?
iam sorry i upgraded now :(, i only didn it for the one page/guest checkout and even that doesnt work, what a waste of hours and hours

why is it that no matter where you look in the prestashop forums you do not get a reply from anyone to do with prestashop?
you shout at the rooftops and send me 100's of emails saying how great the new versions are and yet when there are problems your absence in replies is deafening
i think a few words of good advice to anyone thinking of using the prestashop is to actually visit these forums first and it will be almost immediatley apparent the help is none existant, i wish i had have done so

FAIL

• 1 month later...
Did you ever get a solution to this? I'm facing the same problem now too...

simple answer....no the only solution i found was that is you ask for another pasword then the site sends you one you can actually use
shame prestashop team are so crap when it comes to support

I trawled through the code and made a quick change to let it work correctly - don't know if it has broken anything else though.

Line 77 of controllers/AuthController.php was:

if (!Tools::getValue('is_new_customer'))
   $_POST['passwd'] = md5(time()._COOKIE_KEY_);

I have changed it to:

if(!isset($_POST['passwd']))
   $_POST['passwd'] = md5(time()._COOKIE_KEY_);

Hope that helps someone!