Bulk export & import products and translate into various languages

Jonrose

Hello PrestaShop Experts,

I would like to gather your suggestions on the following challenge:

1. We need to export a product category. Within the category, there are roughly 520+ items

2. These 520+ articles need to be translated, specifically title, description etc. One source language + five output languages

3. Once translation is complete, we would like to import it back to the backend via CSV or any other file through a module in admin panel

The main premise here is we need to translate 520+ items to 5 other languages, meaning each item has a total of 6 translated text. Initially our approach was to export the products, translate them and import them back in. 

Is there any other more seamless or effective approach you could recommend?

Thank you
Regards
Jon

Hello Jon,

I work at Mergado technologies s.r.o. as a consultant for e-shop solutions and I was interested in your problem, if I can solve it 😏.

I came up with one solution using our Mergado products. It was a little bit complicated. But then I realized that all you need was Google Sheets. :D Maybe it will help you. 😉

So my solution:

1. Export categories in Prestashop administration categories as .csv
  2. The same .csv export import into google sheets.
  3. Add the columns for translation. look at the screen. And then use function
    =GOOGLETRANSLATE(D2,"en","de")

on the columns for translation. https://jakemiller.net/translate-in-google-sheets/1047428331_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0912-07-26.thumb.png.15b0ae6cbb38c65638d2aa82fb0fe935.png

4. Now download as .csv

5. Import back to prestashop and match the data. image.thumb.png.09ffbb65ce55b254e618c48cc6d59426.pngspacer.png
  6. So thats it.

Of course, translation may not be correct, but it is a quick solution. Then you can check the translations and correct them and do steps 4 to 6 again.

I hope I helped somehow

Edited by petr.mindl
text correct (see edit history)