Remove carrier selection (step 4) from checkout (just use the default carrier without asking...)

In our shop we are offering only one carrier so really it doesn't make sense to offer a selection of carriers to clients during the checkout process. 

It's quite confusing for users - prompting to "please choose a carrier", when actually they do not need to do this - there is only one option which is already selected on that screen!

I searched the forums and found only an old thread for 1.5.3 that wasn't very helpful as it did not really show what changes to make, besides it's probably outdated with 1.6

I wonder why I find so little about this on the forums, isn't this a pretty common situation? I know a lot of online shops that I buy at where I have no option to select a carrier. 

So what I'd like to do is skip the carrier selection step and just go straight to payment selection. 

Am I missing something obvious?

I'm using 1.6.0.9 with EU_legal module.

Thanks!

I applied a quick hack to make this work for now. Just a bit of CSS that hides the contents of the carrier selection page and a line of javascript that automatically clicks the "go to checkout" button once the page is ready. 

With page loading time of a second it's barely noticable, but surely not a beatiful long term solution..

-------------------------------- css/global.css --------------------------------

#order #carrier_area {

display:none;

}

--------------------------------- js/global.js ---------------------------------

$(document).ready(function(){

// Skip carrier selection in checkout by proceeding automatically

$("body#order #carrier_area form button").click();

------------------------------- order-steps.tpl -------------------------------

index 9b7a08d..d5881f6 100644

[spam-filter] -62,7 +62,7 [spam-filter]

<span><em>03.</em> {l s='Address'}</span>

{/if}

</li>

- <li class="{if $current_step=='shipping'}step_current{else}{if $current_step=='payment'}step_done step_done_last{else}step_todo{/if}{/if} four">

+ {*<li class="{if $current_step=='shipping'}step_current{else}{if $current_step=='payment'}step_done step_done_last{else}step_todo{/if}{/if} four">

{if $current_step=='payment'}

<a href="{$link->getPageLink('order', true, NULL, "{$smarty.capture.url_back}&step=2&multi-shipping={$multi_shipping}")|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}">

<em>04.</em> {l s='Shipping'}

[spam-filter] -70,9 +70,9 [spam-filter]

{else}

<span><em>04.</em> {l s='Shipping'}</span>

{/if}

- </li>

+ </li>*}

<li id="step_end" class="{if $current_step=='payment'}step_current{else}step_todo{/if} last">

- <span><em>05.</em> {l s='Payment'}</span>

+ <span><em>04.</em> {l s='Payment'}</span>

</li>

</ul>

<!-- /Steps -->

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...