I can't move/install live running site on the locahost, pls help!

Hi all,

I've customized a PS shop and set it up on a server- it's running properly now. But I need to move it to another server, before the real moving I want to take a test first, so I tried to move my site from the live server to localhost (Wamp Server). But I failed and got a blank page after all,here are my steps for the first attempt:

1. Download all files from the current server using FileZilla, copy and paste them into the "WampServer/www/" Folder. =>"WampServer/www/mysite"

2. Export my site's database from live server and Import the data on the localhost server using PhpMyAdmin.

(I used the same database and database's user name for both localhost and the live server so there is no need to make changes in the config/settings.inc.php files- I double checked info too)

3. Using browser I go to both localhost/mysite and localhost/mysite/admin

But there's a blank page for both cases. Did I do some thing wrong?

I attempted to use another way, but I failed to make the site running too, here are my steps for the 2nd attempt:

1. Create a database "mysite_db" using phpmyadmin.

2. Install a fresh prestashop on localhost(using wampserver) named "mynewshop" and it's configed to use the newly created database.

3. I copy all files from Live site paste/replace all over existing ps files.

4. Using browser , Go to the URL of site at "localhost/mynewshop/" -> The website is changed, the default PS theme is changed by my customize theme. But the data is the default.

5. Update/import my Live site Database into the existing database. Go to PhpMyAdmin, select "mysite_db" database; Notice: By default there are about 165 PS tables; but After I imported the database from my live site; the number of tables is 173. I think some tables are created because I installed some new modules on the live site.

6. Using browser, I go to "localhost/mynewshop" and "locahost/mynewshop/admin" -> both are a blank page.

Could anyone point out if I make any mistakes? And how to fix it so that I can install my Prestashop live Site on to my localhost; When this is done, I'll start moving my shop to the new server; Please help and thank you.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its just 3 step process to setup the prestashop to local server.

1. SETUP the database on local mysql server and view the "ps_configuration" table

1. Change the value of two keys here PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL. their id are 180 and 181 respectively. For example if you want to run them on localhost just put "localhost" in both.

[*]Edit the settings.inc.php file under config folder.

1. Put the root foldername in the key "__PS_BASE_URI__". if you have "projectName" folder in your htdocs folder just put "/projectName/". So your URL will be like http://localhost/projectName
  2. Change the DB settings in the same file for following keys:

3. Then goto your admin panel then click "Tools">"Generator" and then click on "Generate .htaccess" and also click on "Generate robots.txt" It will overwrite the ".htaccess.txt" and "robots.txt".

Now you can run your project.

Note: Please make sure your "mem_cache.dll" is enable on apache server.

_DB_NAME_
_DB_SERVER_
_DB_USER_
_DB_PASSWD_
Edited by Piyush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Guests,

Don't install a new copy of prestashop in your system, Just place your downloded folder in "htdocs" if xampp or "www" if wamp server. and follow the following process:

Its just 3 step process to setup the prestashop to local server.

1. SETUP the database on local mysql server and view the "ps_configuration" table

1. Change the value of two keys here PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL. their id are 180 and 181 respectively. For example if you want to run them on localhost just put "localhost" in both.

[*]Edit the settings.inc.php file under config folder.

1. Put the root foldername in the key "__PS_BASE_URI__". if you have "projectName" folder in your htdocs folder just put "/projectName/". So your URL will be like http://localhost/projectName
  2. Change the DB settings in the same file for following keys:

3. Then goto your admin panel then click "Tools">"Generator" and then click on "Generate .htaccess" and also click on "Generate robots.txt" It will overwrite the ".htaccess.txt" and "robots.txt".

Now you can run your project.

Note: Please make sure your "mem_cache.dll" is enable on apache server.

_DB_NAME_
_DB_SERVER_
_DB_USER_
_DB_PASSWD_
Edited by Piyush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, piyush is right..the process is the same as like you moving your site from localhost to live server, but with 1 BIG IMPORTANT NOTE..in the final process, you have to GENERATE .htaccess.txt and robots.txt, coz if you dont do this, you cant access your localhost site, you will redirect to your live site..