Front office unusable after 1-click upgrade

Hello all, I could really use a hand...

This morning - I tried to upgrade my site to the latest version of Prestashop using the 1-click upgrade module.  Big mistake...

After the update - I noticed that all of the links on my admin dashboard resulted in blank pages - and I couldn't take my page off of maintenance mode.  So I tried to roll it back.  I got an error "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded" and after that - I got a 500 HTTP error when trying to access the backend at all, while the main page was just stuck on the maintenance page.

I had my web hosting provider roll the whole site back to this morning - now my main page looks perfect again - and I can log into the dashboard - but clicking on nearly all the links results in a page with the following text:

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error".

Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Like I said the website looks and behaves fine - but I can't do anything in the background!  I'm dead in the water!

Can someone please help me figure out what's going on?  I'd really appreciate it!

• razaro changed the title to Front office unusable after 1-click upgrade

Thanks for taking the time to respond Rhobur,

I know now that there's a ton of things I should have done in retrospect - I'm new to this, but I've been learning an awful lot about what to do next time.  Thanks for that link *bookmarked

I contacted the host provider - they did a database restore to before the upgrade, but I'm still seeing the same error logs...

Very strange - page looks great but the office is completely inaccessible.  Any other ideas?

From what I see it seems that this error is specific to 1.7.6.0 therefore I think your site wasn't fully restored according to the previous version.

A complete restore is like:

1. Move/Delete all your PS root files leaving the directory empty.

2. Copy/Delete the content of your current DB;

3. Find the files backup containing the previous PS version and copy the contents into the PS root dir.

4. Import the backup's DB content into your current empty DB.

Now you will end up with the same PS  as it was the date the backup was created. 

On 7/20/2019 at 12:19 PM, Rhobur said:

From what I see it seems that this error is specific to 1.7.6.0 therefore I think your site wasn't fully restored according to the previous version.

A complete restore is like:

1. Move/Delete all your PS root files leaving the directory empty.

2. Copy/Delete the content of your current DB;

3. Find the files backup containing the previous PS version and copy the contents into the PS root dir.

4. Import the backup's DB content into your current empty DB.

Now you will end up with the same PS  as it was the date the backup was created. 

That's what's so strange to me.  They are claiming all content is completely wiped out and then restored.  How could an error still persist?  I'm not sure how that'd possible...

Looks like I'm going to have to have the restore an even earlier backup and hope for the best.

If it fails...I have to rebuild the whole damn store...  Unless you know of a way to keep all your themes, products, etc and just do a fresh install, but I don't think that's possible.

I'll check back in after the restore...wish me luck.