Set shipping costs per translation

DorkV

I am building a store in 1.7.5.2, I have build many but a multilingual one is new to me. Now I would like to know how to solve this problem I have.
The store is based in the Netherlands (so the URL is store.com/nl) the standard shipping costs for this zone are €5.99.
I also have an English version (store.com/gb) I set the shipping costs for the zone where the UK is in to €8.99 .

But in the cart before I am logged in or filled in my details It says the shippingcosts are €5.99. Because later in the process the shippingcosts are higher this will be bad for the conversion rate.

How can I change this? 

Hi DorkV,

On my ste www.decals4all.eu I have 3 languages. I handle the different shipping prices in a different way: using different regions in the carries section. I simply made a region Netherlands and a region Germany and another Belgium. then you can add different prices for each. So the link is not the language but the ship to country. 

My idea is that I will have english speaking people in any of these countries so the language is NOT related to where to ship it.

I hope it helps. Let me know if you want more info.

Regards,

Frans

2 hours ago, fjutt said:

Hi DorkV,

On my ste www.decals4all.eu I have 3 languages. I handle the different shipping prices in a different way: using different regions in the carries section. I simply made a region Netherlands and a region Germany and another Belgium. then you can add different prices for each. So the link is not the language but the ship to country. 

My idea is that I will have english speaking people in any of these countries so the language is NOT related to where to ship it.

I hope it helps. Let me know if you want more info.

Regards,

Frans

Hi Frans,

Thanks for your message. Yes this is how I have set it up right now. But the shipping costs for those countries are higher than for example the Netherlands. So the customer who comes on the english or a spanish site sees those lower wrong shippingcosts.

Hi,

do you have a different shop per country? 

Check my site www.decals4all.eu. Depending the ship to country the rates change. Changing the language does not make a change. What is your site?

Regards

frans

10 minutes ago, fjutt said:

Hi,

do you have a different shop per country? 

Check my site www.decals4all.eu. Depending the ship to country the rates change. Changing the language does not make a change. What is your site?

Regards

frans

Yes that is just the thing I would like to change;-D I would like to let ''standard'' shipping rates to be changed by changing the language;-D

I’m sorry but why based on language? In that case i can inky think of multi store option and thus different prices. 

So so let me ask you; if I live in the Netherlands and have my shipping to eg. Amsterdam. Why would I pay a different rate based on the language I speak? Here we speak so many different languages and the browser or geocode is not deciding the language. 

To be sure, is this what you want:

So having a multi shop option you can use the url to land on the “language” you want and have different shipping rates  products and stock can be shared amongst the shop. 

Next to that I’m not 100% sure but it might be illegal to charge more/less shipping to the same location just with a language difference. Isn’t that discrimination?

Regards,

frans

2 minutes ago, fjutt said:

I’m sorry but why based on language? In that case i can inky think of multi store option and thus different prices. 

So so let me ask you; if I live in the Netherlands and have my shipping to eg. Amsterdam. Why would I pay a different rate based on the language I speak? Here we speak so many different languages and the browser or geocode is not deciding the language. 

To be sure, is this what you want:

So having a multi shop option you can use the url to land on the “language” you want and have different shipping rates  products and stock can be shared amongst the shop. 

Next to that I’m not 100% sure but it might be illegal to charge more/less shipping to the same location just with a language difference. Isn’t that discrimination?

Regards,

frans

I don't want to use the multistore function. But what you say is not the point...maybe I just don't want to show the shipping costs in the drop-down cart or show the shipping costs until you have filled in your details. If that is the (only) solution it is fine for me.

Ok. That is a good point not to show the prices. 

I still struggle to understand why you would charge a different price to ship to the same location depending on the language of the customer. Never thought of that. What is you reasoning for that? Can you explain? Just out of interest. 

Regards

frans

2 minutes ago, fjutt said:

Ok. That is a good point not to show the prices. 

I still struggle to understand why you would charge a different price to ship to the same location depending on the language of the customer. Never thought of that. What is you reasoning for that? Can you explain? Just out of interest. 

Regards

frans

It is simple I think.

Using a .com/.eu domain...

.com/gb  --> British customers
.com/es --> Spanish customers
.com/de --> German customers
.com/fr --> French customers

If a English speaking custers orders at /gb and delivers in NL it will pay less because of the regions.
When A customers decides to order at the /gb version (because he/she speaks english) and shops to Poland the shipping cost will be higher and that is more understandable.

Shipping is not the same for those countries. So the standard shipping costs showed are to low or to high.

3 minuten geleden, DorkV zei:

It is simple I think.

Well its not that simple because language doesnt say anything about the country someone lives. Especially not in our branche :)

1 minute ago, Curious said:

Well its not that simple because language doesnt say anything about the country someone lives. Especially not in our branche :)

I don't make a webshop in your branche, so it works for me. As said the shipping rates are still be as they are for the delivery address. Just showing the standard shipping costs fitted to GB/FR/DE/ES as in the country.

5 minutes ago, DorkV said:

It is simple I think.

If a English speaking custers orders at /gb and delivers in NL it will pay less because of the regions.
When A customers decides to order at the /gb version (because he/she speaks english) and shops to Poland the shipping cost will be higher and that is more understandable.

Shipping is not the same for those countries. So the standard shipping costs showed are to low or to high.

I see what you mean. I would still handle it in 1 site as I still think it is not allowed. 

Hiding the shipping fee till the checkout might be the best. 

Honestly i never had a complaint as I think most customers understand that shipping is different to their countries. 

Maybe the only way is to hide the field from the templates you use at checkout. 

Regards,

frans 

2 minutes ago, DorkV said:

I don't make a webshop in your branche, so it works for me. As said the shipping rates are still be as they are for the delivery address. Just showing the standard shipping costs fitted to GB/FR/DE/ES as in the country.

I would have the complexity that if they go to the French site I would still not know if they are going to order for France or Belgium. 

German speakers could be for Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria Switzerland and even north Italy. Not to mention English speaking... 

but i now understand your dilemma. 

Frans