Add products to Cart and the login as existing user

lucas12

Hi everybody.

I have this query that gives me back for days.

Let's suppose this scenario:     

1. We have a customer that is already registered in our store.
  2. This customer one day visits our store without registering and adds some products to the shopping cart.     
  3. Then it goes to the checkout and registers and it is here that if that client had items stored in an old cart, the system creates a new cart for the products that he added in the unregistered user cart, resulting in the products of the old cart (those of the registered user) remain in the old cart and generates the following:
    1. you have no chance to see that old cart again (the products of the old user's cart registered)         
    2. and the worst is that with this behavior (add products to the cart without registering and then register) creates a cascade of abandoned carts of the registered used.

I think it is much more logical that in the scenario of a customer who adds products to the cart and then register, this should cause that the system will search for the "abandoned" cart of that registered user and add the new products to that cart resulting in :   

1. a single cart per registered customer and not a cascade of abandoned carts     
  2. the customer that go to the checkout will see the items of the last cart, being able to decide whether to buy them (because the system "remembered" them) or remove them.

Is there any way that PrestaShop handles shopping carts in that way?

Regards to all and waiting for advice...

Hello @lucas12,

Which PS version are you using? Because in my 1.6.1.24 version the new cart is kept.

EDIT: Now I understand. You want to combine the last cart he abandoned, with the one he just created. Except of the fact that this does not happen in any e-shop (if the client needed his cart he could simply login) it is also consists of a really poor user experience. Think of this user case:

1. User creates a cart with 3 x A items.
2. User abandons cart and logouts (for whatever reason).
3. User comes back, forgets to login creates a cart with 5 X A items.
4. User logins.

How many A items should there be in the cart? 3? 5? 8?

I suggest you stick with how Prestashop (and most eshops in the world) works. You should NEVER a normality for a specific user case. If what you said ever happens, you can always help THAT specific user out by locating his old cart manually and creating a manual order.

Edited by George Bazz
Now I understood what you meant! (see edit history)

7 hours ago, George Bazz said:

Hello @lucas12,

Which PS version are you using? Because in my 1.6.1.24 version the new cart is kept.

EDIT: Now I understand. You want to combine the last cart he abandoned, with the one he just created. Except of the fact that this does not happen in any e-shop (if the client needed his cart he could simply login) it is also consists of a really poor user experience. Think of this user case:

1. User creates a cart with 3 x A items.
2. User abandons cart and logouts (for whatever reason).
3. User comes back, forgets to login creates a cart with 5 X A items.
4. User logins.

How many A items should there be in the cart? 3? 5? 8?

I suggest you stick with how Prestashop (and most eshops in the world) works. You should NEVER a normality for a specific user case. If what you said ever happens, you can always help THAT specific user out by locating his old cart manually and creating a manual order.

Hello and thanks for the reply.

imagen.png.465c25db186f79a830cef3312792daa8.png

Thats exactly the scenario.  And the way amazon works.  It add the 5 new items to the old cart of the registered user resulting in a cart that has 8 items.

Prestashop has a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Got same issue. Many clients has problem that they miss they old cart and can not get it back. Also, if they work on 3 computers, they create 3 separate baskets and it just makes a big mess in orders. I would much preffer that carts in PS work as lucas 12 described. Has only one, and if creates before login in it simply mearges with old one. Does anyone has any suggestions how to do that ?