Need to stop Double and Triple duplicate orders

RoryB

We switched payment processors to PayPal and have tried four (4) different PayPal modules.

1. PayPalPay v1.3.9 built into Prestashop by PrestaShop partners
  2. PayPalStandard v2.0.18 by WebDevOverture
  3. PayPalPro v1.0.0 by Addons4Presta
  4. PayFlowPro v 1.0 by eGrove Systems

All of them give us random double and triple orders that show up in both the Prestashop back office AND in PayPal. I've tried the modules as stand-alone and in various combinations, no change.

All of the module developers say their modules are working as intended...

We are having to issue scores of refunds for these double and triple payments and our members are pissed...

We are using Prestashop 1.6.1.24. No custom themes or modifications to the stock Prestashop install.

PayPal say's it's not their problem as they process what they are sent from Prestashop.

We "never" had this issue with Authorize.net but we needed to offer multiple foreign currencies so tried moving to PayPal. So far it's been a HORRIBLE experience.

The orders show up within a second of each other so unlikely that's it's someone hitting the order button due to lag.

ANY suggestions?

RORY

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry I didn't say all I've tried so far...

I read that thread already and it doesn't apply as we are seeing duplicate orders in both Prestshop AND PayPal.

I also read this:

Which didn't help either...

I've tried all the suggestions in these 2 threads to no avail. The orders all have different order numbers so are all being processed as unique orders.

Prestashop is sending out duplicate orders to PayPal for billing which PayPal then processes and bills.

It's happening in four (4) different modules from four different vendors. So it looks to me like it's something in the Prestashop core and needs to be fixed.

So frustrating...

Try to break this down. I doubt it is prestashop core bug. Very little is done with 1.6  - more likely a local issue

You say you are using 1.6.1.24. - did the problem exist before the upgrade?

Have you upgraded or installed any new modules?

Did the issue start as soon as you installed the first Paypal module?

Why have you tried so many paypal modules?

Have you checked for viruses etc on the server?

Are the duplicate orders created from the same shopping cart?

Check the server files to see date / time stamps to see if anything else has changed (malware)

Have you created orders yourself with the same results

Have you cleared all cached or better still turn them off for now

I think it is a lot of troubleshooting in your system as it is unlikely to be a PayPal or Prestashop bug

URL for us to check ?

Any other payment modules installed?

Are you sure customers are not clicking more than once (perhaps because of slow page refresh)

Server cache?

Firewalls?

Disable overrides

Does the issue happen with Ban wire/ check modules

Is the problem with certain currencies or all?

Hello haylau,

Thanks for the detailed list of things to look at.

Please see my responses embedded below:

You say you are using 1.6.1.24. - did the problem exist before the upgrade?

*** We already had 1.6.1.24 installed and working fine with Authorize.net when we switched to PayPal. (Our non-profit is 29 years old, not sure how long we’ve been using Prestashop but it’s been a looooong time…)

Have you upgraded or installed any new modules?

*** Not since trying to use PayPal no. Only the different PayPal modules trying to find one that worked.

Did the issue start as soon as you installed the first Paypal module?

*** Yes.

Why have you tried so many paypal modules?

*** We were trying to find a PayPal module that worked…

*** We had assumed it was a Module issue and not a Prestashop issue as we’ve never had this problem when using a different Payment Processor.

Have you checked for viruses etc on the server?

*** Yes.

Are the duplicate orders created from the same shopping cart?

*** Yes. A random member renews their membership and sometimes it has 2 or 3 duplicates seconds apart. Oh, and sometimes it’s a webinar or other product, it’s not just the membership orders.

Check the server files to see date / time stamps to see if anything else has changed (malware)

*** Nothing that I can see.

Have you created orders yourself with the same results

*** No. We’re unable to duplicate in our tests. Looks to be random.

Have you cleared all cached or better still turn them off for now

*** Yes. Tried that first. Caching is turned back on now as it made no difference.

I think it is a lot of troubleshooting in your system as it is unlikely to be a PayPal or Prestashop bug

*** No idea… But it was never an issue with Authourize.net.

URL for us to check ?

*** Our store is here: https://secure.sdiworld.org/store/en/

*** But I just disabled the PayPal module and reenabled Authorize.net. We’ve been trying to get this working correctly for weeks. This forum was my last hope…

*** We have our annual conference coming up and we can’t be triple charging people for it… They’re already pissed off for getting charged double for their membership fee…

*** We also have some Spiritual Journeys priced at $5K and if Prestashop tells PayPal to charge them $15K instead (3x$5K) it’s a real killer for us…

Any other payment modules installed?

*** Not enabled while PayPal was enabled but Authorize.net was “installed” and disabled.

Are you sure customers are not clicking more than once (perhaps because of slow page refresh)

*** Never seen it happen in the last 10 years of using Authorize.net.

*** Even now, they would have to click the purchase button two or three times within a second. The logs show these happening almost simultaneously.

*** One set image.png.a9c8926e3dc79a06d84c57aeab8779b3.png

*** Another set image.png.301d91964cbbae3c907b44ffe982e188.png

Server cache?

*** Smarty.

Firewalls?

*** Nothing changed…

Disable overrides

*** Disable Overrides was turned on. I turned it off to enable overrides and no change.

Does the issue happen with Ban wire/ check modules

*** We don’t use these payment methods.

Is the problem with certain currencies or all?

*** All. We had enabled USD, CAD & AUD. Currently, only USD is enabled as of a few minutes ago. Authorize.net can’t support multiple currencies so I switched them off.

*** Since making the change back to Authorize.net a few minutes ago we’ve had a few orders and no duplicate transactions. But now we’ve lost the ability to accept non US currencies… We need a better solution...

*** Historically, with Authorize.net, we only ever see one order in Prestashop for any given cart, never any duplicates.

Cheers!

Sorry I can't really help, just trying to help troubleshoot. Hopefully your answers will help someone else dig this out

Couple more thoughts

1) Have you tried disabling all modules except the paypal one, then enable one at a time to rule ou conflicts. For example i can see there is a share cart on facebook module - perhaps a conflict

2) Any recent server changed? PHP changes- you do have TLS 1.2?

3) Have you tried using the browser console > network tab to watch what happens as you go through the checkout process

4) Does it do the same with 5 step order process

Hey Ron,

Thanks again for your help trying to help.

1) Not sure what modules could be safely disabled so no, I haven't tried that.

2) PHP: Not that I'm aware of. TLS 1.2, I don;t know.

3) No. If I could get it to fail then yes. But I haven't managed to duplicate the duplicate error.

4) Haven't tried that. Do you think it would make a difference? I thought the final checkout/validate process was the same.

I can see TLS 1.2 is ok

I think you need to work through those other points. For the modules just work with non prestashop default modules. If the answer is not in something you have tried, then the answer must be in something you have not tried 

27 minutes ago, haylau said:

If the answer is not in something you have tried, then the answer must be in something you have not tried.

THAT my friend is a profound statement. 🙂

Just an update for anyone interested.

After turning off the PayPal module yesterday and going back to Authorize.net we have had zero (0) duplicate or triplicate payments.

I don't know what authorize.net is doing differently in their module but I wish the PayPal module developers we tried (all 4 of them) would learn how to code properly...

Cheers!

• 6 months later...

I'm having this exact same issue after updating my site to PS 1.6.1.24, the same version as the original poster. We don't see duplicate orders in PayPal but we get them every time in our store which results in 2 orders and 2 sets of emails to us and the customer.

Each order had a different order ID.

We have been able to replicate this by placing an order and using PayPal as the payment method and completing the process and paying via PayPal.

The issue is only happening for PayPal orders, module version 3.14.0, the latest version available for PS 1.6.1.24.

Orders that select payment method of Cheque payment do not result in duplicates.

When we disable Smarty Cache this resolves the duplicate order issue.

Anyone any ideas what the issue might be here? I'd like to be able to keep SMARTY cache on for better performance.

Many thanks in advance...