Perform Action Before Submitting Payment

Hello everyone,

I'm currently developing a fraud detection module for PrestaShop 1.6. In this module, I need to make a call to an API just after the customer presses the button to confirm their order, but before the payment is submitted, regardless of payment gateway.

At first, after looking through all the available hooks in 1.6, I thought about using the actionValidateOrder hook to do this, the problem is that this hook is executed right after the payment is submitted/processed by the payment gateway, which is not what I'm looking for.

I also thought about using javascript to intercept the execution, but it becomes way too specific for each gateway and the data flow between prestashop objects/ajax/javascript seems like it could turn out to be problematic.

I know you can create a custom hook, but every example I see on internet is about display hooks, none of it shows how to create a custom action hook.

Right now, I don't really know that else to try, that's why I need your help in how to approach this situation, any ideas are welcome and will be highly appreciated. Thank you.