How to assign an existing DB to a fresh install?

Hello

I've had problem with my Prestashop 1.4.1.1.  I am unable to use the automatic upgrade module, it simply doesn't work, I have tried several times but I keep having to roll back to my original version.  I also have some problems with my site as I get error messages showing on my back office module page.  My site works fine though - bizarrely!   I first installed my shop in August 2011.

I would like to upgrade it and the only way to do it so that I can keep all my products and customer details is to do a fresh install and assign my existing DB it.  Could someone guide me as to which folders and files to copy across as well as assigning my DB.  

So I've done a fresh install and created an empty database.  If anyone can help, I'd much appreciate it.

Many thanks.

It's not gonna work with another version, what you can do is try a new 1.4.1.1, hook your db to it, and try the autoupgrade on that.

If you go down this route you can change the database name in settings.inc.php ( I guess it was the same on 1.4)

3 hours ago, NemoPS said:

It's not gonna work with another version, what you can do is try a new 1.4.1.1, hook your db to it, and try the autoupgrade on that.

If you go down this route you can change the database name in settings.inc.php ( I guess it was the same on 1.4)

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it'll be with the same version.  What other folders or files may need to be changed or copied across from my old files such as IMG etc?

14 hours ago, Esprit said:

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, it'll be with the same version.  What other folders or files may need to be changed or copied across from my old files such as IMG etc?

Normally you would need to re-install modules and theme. But as you intend to upgrade you will need new modules and theme anyway so you can stick to the default installation until after the upgrade.

5 hours ago, musicmaster said:

Normally you would need to re-install modules and theme. But as you intend to upgrade you will need new modules and theme anyway so you can stick to the default installation until after the upgrade.

Thanks musicmaster.  I will be giving it a go tomorrow.  I will post my results so that others who may be following or interested can see.