[Solved] Moving Prestashop directory - should be easy, but apparently not for me

Hi,
I have looked through this forum and thought I found something to help me out with my problem but it didn't actually make a difference, so I'm posting this new thread to hopefully get my answer. I would also like to say that I am a complete newb at prestashop and apologize for my ignorance on the matter.

ok, with that aside here's my issue

I just finished getting things all set up in my back office on a test folder - "shop". I would like to move my store to my main folder "steelpanstore.com" so that it will be active at that site without going to steelpanstore.com/shop. I know I could simply redirect steelpanstore.com to steelpanstore.com/shop and have my store load but I don't want to do it that way. I moved all of the files from shop into the main folder. I changed the directory within back office from /shop/ to just /. The site seems to load fine and actually does seem operational. However, I cannot log in to my back office anymore. I have kept the /shop directory intact so I can still log in there, but I should be able to login to steelpanstore.com/adminsen instead of going to /shop/adminsen. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple, but please help!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I did what was written below. Here is the full thread : http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/18393/installing_prestashop/move_prestashop_from_subfolder_to_root

why not leave in the sub?

just edit your .htaccess file in the root dir and put this in it:
(you need to replace prestashop by your own subdir and mysite.com by your own domainname obviously)
# Copy and paste the following code into the .htaccess file
# in the public_html folder of your hosting account
# make the changes to the file according to the instructions.

# Do not change this line - RewriteEngine on
RewriteEngine on

# Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mysite.com$

# Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/prestashop/

# Don't change this line.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /prestashop/$1

# Change yourdomain.com to be your main domain again.
# Change 'subfolder' to be the folder you will use for your main domain
# followed by / then the main file for your site, index.php, index.html, etc.
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?mysite.com$
RewriteRule ^(/)?$ prestashop/index.php [L]

• 1 month later...

I have a problem trying to change the store folder on the server.

The production shop I have it installed in the root directory, and I want to change to the / shop /, install a new prestashop in that folder, upload the images and others, upload the database, the back works well, but in the front, the index if you upload the theme but without images of the items, and if I try to enter any article tells me PAGE NOT AVAILABLE.

If I change the file settings.inc with the name of the folder where it installed the new prestashop, and not even load up, just leave links.

Any solution?