sampsonzak

Pretty URL's - Anyone used this? Good or bad for SEO?

EDIT: After some replies of people who have installed this module, this seems like a very risky module to install and can entirely mess up your site if uninstalled.

I would consider looking at Amazon, eBay and all the other top players - their links are albeit worse to look at then PrestaShop's. I've decided not to bother with any module which messes around with the internal ID system of PrestaShop. Not worth the hassle, and doesn't look like it provides any advantage. You have been warned! :)

--- ORIGINAL POST:

Hi all, have been thinking since opening my shop I need to get rid of the numbers in the URL of my products as they don't look the best:

e.g.

mydomain.com/category/128-product.html
-->
mydomain.com/category/product.html

&&

mydomain.com/12-category/
-->
mydomain.com/category/

I have found the plugin 'Pretty URLs' does this, and it claims it improves SEO, but I am skeptical of this for two reasons:

1) I have a fair amount of backlinks on a range of my product pages. I understand it does a 301 redirect, but will my rankings still be less strong than they were?
1a) Does removing the ID numbers benefit SEO at all? Did anyone notice in an increase in their SEO rankings?

2) Does removing the ID slow down the webpage? With an ID at the start, it's easy for PHP to recognize which product from just looking at the number, rather than it having to search a 5-10 character category + 30 character title?

Would like to give this a go, but I don't want to risk losing rankings or slow down the page speed, but I have wanted to do this for a while, so I think I will eventually just do it and hope for the best.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of module? Really appreciate it if you'd let us know the result/what happened, if anything??

Cheers!

Edited by sampsonzak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello,

I have exactely the same interest in this module, and i share the same doubts. 

If nobody answer and you decide to try it, share your experience with me please :)

Thank you!

Tania Carreira

No interest for SEO. Amazon, ebay or addons.prestashop use product IDs in their links. yet they are leading companies in their domain.

ID is in the DNA of Prestashop. If you remove it from the URL, you cannot evaluate the impact elsewhere. Change the title of a product will lead to errors with no possibility of link redirection. => Overall more damage on your site then tangible advantages.

Good luck with your business.

4 hours ago, pedepot said:

No interest for SEO. Amazon, ebay or addons.prestashop use product IDs in their links. yet they are leading companies in their domain.

ID is in the DNA of Prestashop. If you remove it from the URL, you cannot evaluate the impact elsewhere. Change the title of a product will lead to errors with no possibility of link redirection. => Overall more damage on your site then tangible advantages.

Good luck with your business.

Oh wow I didn't even realise that. What you said about Amazon & eBay has removed any doubt of it affecting my seo, other than they both have the ID after the product name in the URL.

I think i'll give this plugin a miss then. I wasn't going to get it until I heard some other positive reviews with the problems I thought may happen, but you've sold me on keeping it with normal PS id's.

Thanks for that!

Purchased this module from FME Modules. Uses a ton of overrides.  They offer installation assistance.  Contacted them for assistance and did not hear back for two weeks.  When they did respond, they simply erased all my other overrides causing two existing modules to fail.  Even with this, they did not allow their Pretty URL module to function with their advanced seo module.  When I tried to disable Pretty URL, entire site went down.  Eventually had to restore from backup.  Did not honor their 30 day warranty.  Do not answer the phone listed on the website.  STAY AWAY FROM THEM.  

5 hours ago, STS said:

Purchased this module from FME Modules. Uses a ton of overrides.  They offer installation assistance.  Contacted them for assistance and did not hear back for two weeks.  When they did respond, they simply erased all my other overrides causing two existing modules to fail.  Even with this, they did not allow their Pretty URL module to function with their advanced seo module.  When I tried to disable Pretty URL, entire site went down.  Eventually had to restore from backup.  Did not honor their 30 day warranty.  Do not answer the phone listed on the website.  STAY AWAY FROM THEM.  

That's not good. Thanks for letting everyone know.

I changed my mind on this module as soon as soon as someone mentioned how Amazon/eBay links are formatted. Wouldn't consider using it or anything like it after reading and checking that out.

I would have A LOT to say about this module but i won't.:D

As STS previously said it : just never uninstall this module! You would loose some overrides ...
And as pedepot said with IDs deletion you will, at least, loose the "canonical redirect" feature...

Well I've added a warning to original post. Definitely seems like this isn't worth the hassle then. I am sure core updates of PrestaShop would also mess up this module/store entirely too by the sounds of it.