Australian language

Hello guys,

I'm on Prestashop 1.7, i've create the Australian language due to some specificities of this market (i'd likie to add somes specific size attributes for that region of the world), but i had to create it 'from scratch' cause there is no language pack, and i need the /au at the end of my URLs to make the stuff looking serious. 

Some guys suggested me to import a language pack, but if i do so, the URLs will be, for example, /gb or watever, which dosn't really look pro, and i can't change it....

The problem is that languages created 'from scratch' aren't working well with the translation manager.

In fact, i cannot modify anything (modules, classic theme, custom theme) with this. Any idea ?

image.thumb.png.7c3a0204d7b9e177ab03686cef5d2521.png

here i've created the language from scratch

image.thumb.png.89fa1f174cebbc5aaa10b2e996028aac.png

here the 'Au' language

image.thumb.png.14ec7081e8682c70561b94f22736024b.png

here the homepage with /au extension and nice cool little Australian flag

image.thumb.png.3f87d2965544e970867fbd65b20b30bc.png

here the translations that cannot work >>>>

image.thumb.png.daa27dd8c32f5b2ebd8f1134915f02af.png

image.thumb.png.8cdc9ca275c0adf5372b00271e3625f6.png

nothing appears on screen for theme translations / modules translations etc etc... or worst,  'internal server error'.......

Any fix ????

Thanks a lot

image.png

Hello musicmaster, thx for your help ! :)

i tried your suggestion but i have bunch of errors when i do so :

image.thumb.png.a2d84fa1083c9365dbbc8b9a779b6654.png

btw, even if there is no error, i'll be able to copy ONLY the themes (classical, or mine, named 'Warehouse') translations, nothing else. Anywaym it's not working...

@Debbie thank you very much, i've already read this thread, in fact well related to my problem, but it does not help much cause i don't know what to do with the au.gzip file....

i even don't know how to create a language pack.... maybe this is what i should do (create a new australian language pack)... any procedure ?

Thanks

Aurelien

50 minutes ago, superskyman100 said:

Hello musicmaster, thx for your help ! :)

i tried your suggestion but i have bunch of errors when i do so :

image.thumb.png.a2d84fa1083c9365dbbc8b9a779b6654.png

btw, even if there is no error, i'll be able to copy ONLY the themes (classical, or mine, named 'Warehouse') translations, nothing else. Anywaym it's not working...

I don't like the text "it's not working". It sounds passive.

Did you investigate why the copying doesn't work? Is the source file not there? Or is there a rights problem with the target location. The latter - what I consider the most likely option - would point to a misconfigured server that has nothing to do with Prestashop.

Edited by musicmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Musicmaster,

Thanks again, and YES, i don't like passiveness too...

For my defense i've been out of my PS issues for few days (for many #%$#%% reasons out of scope ;)) ...

Anyway, i should have gave you more clues... my apologies for that.

So let's go back to business if u wish :

For clarity, here, again, my errors when i try to copy the classic theme. I have EXACTLY same errors if i try to copy my Warehouse theme.

image.thumb.png.2e1a6fb7558325e0a7797c13e9ad72fe.png

So i searched.... and...

>>> I don't have any "en" in the folder public/translations.... just one 'au' folder.. 

image.thumb.png.f8757acb190fb776b5320d4bfc57d87e.png>>>>

>>> i have the folders EN and AU in public/mails, but EN folder has 74 files while AU folder has 65 files only... 

image.thumb.png.f4c54acfae1d72f81c26f641bbc2dd19.png

>>> in themes / classic / lang, there is NO FOLDER at all......

image.thumb.png.a6518e7dfb461bf4c51f5bf734c0fd62.png

This is what i can say for now... what i should do now, i have to idea... when it's getting to files structure, i'm a total newbie, so i would prefer to 'try' things under good direction... 

Thanks

Aurelien

- Is there anything that did get copied?

English is of course the default language that already is in the pages. That could explain why some files are missing.

You could try to edit the English language and see whether saving it will generate more files.

Alternatively you could try installing the en-us or en-gb languages and work from there.

1/ clearly, the 'copy language' function doesn't 'understand/match' my file structure. On my side, that's the main problem. If i can copy the Themes translations, 99% of the work will be done..............

Moreover, i cannot localize WHERE are the translations files :

- theme/Warhouse/translations , everything is empty (EN-us, FR-fr.... folders are empty)

- theme/Warhouse/lang is empty too...

- theme/classic/translations, it's empty too..........................

- public/translations..... empty .................................

2/ 'A part of the data has been copied but some of the language files could not be found'.... this is what it is said. 

image.thumb.png.464fc9523791ad90f7083f32a878935a.png

So, some files have been copied, but i cannot know what files exactly (except if i try to backtest on a 'clean' prestashop, but that will take hours and headaches for no practical results...).... from before, i assume the files from 'public/mails' have been copied only, cause all the other folders are EMPTY....................

Otherwise i copied nothing throughout FTP or stuff like that i just followed the manip u've suggested, and the translation stuff is still out of order.

3/ i already tried to use the EN-US or EN-GB, and tweak it, but i cannot modify the ISO code, therefore i have an "/us" or "/gb" at the end of my URLs... not exactly coherent stuff to sell stuff with an Australian flag.... 

If we can solve the 1/, it should be ok, the problem is that i have no idea how................. 

I tried to copy your situation in 1.7.5.1 but I can't.

When I try create en-au next to en-us I get the error: This ISO code is already linked to another language

It doesn't like to have two "en" languages.

I am puzzled that you didn't ran into that problem.

I mentioned that problem quickly : i tried to create one australian pack out of an english (gb) one, then tweak it to make it looks like Australian.  

But I hasn't been able to modify the ISO code (mainly to have "...../au " at the end of my URLs), so i abandoned the idea..

Prestashop is a real pain in the *** when it comes to create on language from scratch : no procedure, no support (except yours)... 

If i was you, i would try to create one language from scratch and look, you'll see it 'doesn't work' correctly... 

Sounds passive, but i've already tried a lot to solve this (in my opinion) critical stuff.

Btw, if u have an idea about WHERE are the translation files :

- theme/Warhouse/translations , everything is empty (EN-us, FR-fr.... folders are empty)

- theme/Warhouse/lang is empty too...

- theme/classic/translations, it's empty too..........................

- public/translations..... empty .................................

I'm unable to find them............

Hi,

I did some research and I have indeed to conclude that languages are still a mess. Prestashop is in transition from a system where you have files like en.php and fr.php towards .xlf files. It looks that the new system is still full of bugs.

.xlf files are a kind of xml. In the 1.7 version of my theme (Panda) I find those files indeed under the translations subdir of the theme.

For the main software the translations seem to be under /app/resources/translations

From what I have seen I would advise you to give up on an "au" directory at the moment. It is just too messy. Maybe when Prestashop gets its act together in 1.7.6 will it be worth the effort.

The forum is not well monitored by Prestashop staff. So if you want your problem be noticed you should report it on Github (https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/issues) or discuss it on Gitter (https://gitter.im/PrestaShop/General)

Hello Musicmaster,

Thanks a lot for your confirmation, indeed, i also did some work around, in other forums, and nothing seems to be clear, except maybe if i want to create a language pack (and i don't have time to do that).

Some sources out there :

http://build.prestashop.com/news/translation-resources/

https://crowdin.com/project/prestashop-official

I also had lots of issues when it came to add/delete languages (i made that mistake), cause the language you delete isn't deleted from databases, creating lots of bugs, specially if you wanna change friendly URLs names (I finally had to 'clean' via SQL all databases from 'old' languages i've imported previously)...

I guess this is part of the game, but that's a pity i cannot fully use Presta's potentialities, cause in fact, multi-languages and currencies IS a real strong point of that plateform.

Anyway...

Thanks again for your help

Have some nice notes

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:57 PM, musicmaster said:

Hi,

I did some research and I have indeed to conclude that languages are still a mess. Prestashop is in transition from a system where you have files like en.php and fr.php towards .xlf files. It looks that the new system is still full of bugs.

.xlf files are a kind of xml. In the 1.7 version of my theme (Panda) I find those files indeed under the translations subdir of the theme.

For the main software the translations seem to be under /app/resources/translations

From what I have seen I would advise you to give up on an "au" directory at the moment. It is just too messy. Maybe when Prestashop gets its act together in 1.7.6 will it be worth the effort.

The forum is not well monitored by Prestashop staff. So if you want your problem be noticed you should report it on Github (https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/issues) or discuss it on Gitter (https://gitter.im/PrestaShop/General)

1.7.6.1 its the same mess. On one of my ps sites I'm trying to edit the default language of a child of the classic theme but in order to do so I need to copy the language from the classic theme to the child theme but no language files reside within the classic theme - i get this stupid error message:

Impossible to copy "/var/www/ps/themes/classic/lang/en.php" to "/var/www/ps/themes/my-child-theme/lang/en.php".

A part of the data has been copied but some of the language files could not be found.

• Like 1