Product combinations on category page

lgdecor

Hello,

Is there a way/a module that will allow me to show different combinations of one product on category page? For example, I sell a product which can be in 30 different colours and I want each colour to be shown like a separate product with colour in product's title, f.e. "Product 1 Red", "Product 1 Black", "Product 1 Blue" etc. If I just add them as different products I will get 30 pages with duplicate content.

The reason I need it that way is because product's colour in my case is the most important attribute. If I put colours as attributes then filtering by colour will be useless. I also want to make sales and special prices based only on product's colour, f.e. "Red Weekends" - only red products get 50% reduction.

Obviously the product's description and everything else will be the same, so how can I avoid duplicate content?

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Nope you can't do that. You can edit your theme to display mouse over to different combinations of the product, like different images and things. Why do you want to show the same product as different ones? Even if you figure a way to do it, this is terrible for customer experience and many users will be confused.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:57 PM, decorbay said:

The reason I need it that way is because product's colour in my case is the most important attribute. If I put colours as attributes then filtering by colour will be useless. I also want to make sales and special prices based only on product's colour, f.e. "Red Weekends" - only red products get 50% reduction.

So why don't you make color a feature? You can use features for filtering.

Thanks for the answers!

23 hours ago, Dreamtheme said:

Why do you want to show the same product as different ones? Even if you figure a way to do it, this is terrible for customer experience and many users will be confused.

I'm going to mostly sell window blinds and fabric's colour is the most important feature along with the level of blackout the fabric gives. I came to the conclusion that I will probably just add different colours as separate products and use canonical urls to avoid duplicate content. There are a few reasons why I want to do it this way:

1. The price of a window blind depends on the type of fabric (different price table for each fabric). Some fabrics are in 30-40 different colours. If I put all colours as attributes into one product then I would have to choose one of them as the main picture on category pages (I know there are colour snippets but it just doesn't look good this way).

20 hours ago, musicmaster said:

So why don't you make color a feature? You can use features for filtering.

2. If I have 30 colours of a product then how can I use features for colours? I would either have to put all of them into one long feature or make 30 features for each colour. Most colours are present in every fabric (at least the most popular ones, like white, black, gray etc.) with sometimes just a different shade. Either way using filtering would almost always result in showing all products anyway. However, If I put colours as separate products then you could easily filter through them.

3. If a customer is looking only for a specific colour (and they usually do from my experience), they would have to go through all the pictures in the gallery on products page (sometimes 30-40 pictures) to see the window blind made from that fabric. However, if it's done 'my way', they can just filter e.g. "gray" on category page and they will see all gray blinds from every collection of fabric. I think this is actually better for customer experience - you can find the exact colour you are looking for much faster.

4. I try to follow the example of big and successful shops that sell window blinds in my country and most of them have done it this way.

5. The amount of pictures in product page gallery. I have to have a picture of a window blind made in every colour - this is a must, just fabric samples are not enough. Some window blinds (e.g. roman roller blinds) can be sewn in two or three different ways which largely alter the blind's look and I have pictures for that in every colour as well. Following previous example, that would make 60-90 pictures in the gallery. Besides the 'main' picture of a window blind, I would like to upload some other pictures, like close-ups which would raise the total number of pictures in the gallery to.. well, it would be too much. I want to avoid putting pictures in product's description to make the website load faster. Also, wouldn't uploading that many pictures into product's gallery make the website load slower anyway?

These are the main reasons for doing it the 'weird' way, I would appreciate any feedback on that.

Edited by decorbay (see edit history)

2 hours ago, musicmaster said:

I get the impression that you don't understand what "features" are in Prestashop.

Anyway, if you want more support it might help when you provided links to pages that work the way you want it

I'm pretty sure I don't, I've just started using Prestashop recently. I just tested features a bit and realized what I wrote in the first part of point 2 was wrong. I still stand by everything else I wrote though - what's the point of filtering through features when all products have the same features? Like I said, the colours are repetetive in various collections of fabrics - e.g. every fabric collection has colour white, gray, black, brown etc., only a few are different.

And there is still problem with having 30/60/90 or more images in product's gallery.

Here are two websites that have it done that way (they are in polish but you can just compare product's names):

https://www.dekoria.pl/rolety-rzymskie,g32.html

https://www.domondo.pl/rolety/rolety-materialowe/

1 hour ago, Vico_b said:

Why don't you use the "variation" button at the top right corner of your product back office page?

Then you go into the "variation" tab and make your colour variation here

I assume you mean combinations here? Well, I don't know how would that solve anything, it's the same thing as with what I wrote above features above. Besides, browsing through 30/60/90 or more images on product's page to see the one you want would be gruesome for customers.

Or maybe I totally don't understand how Prestashop works at all.

Edited by decorbay (see edit history)

Yes, Combinations

so what you want is the ability to show these combinations in (let say) mini-thumbnails on the catalog page, and if I click on a mini thumbnail, it goes to the selected combination of the product, instead of having 30x the same product on catalog page?

Or maybe I totally don't understand how Prestashop works at all.

To be fair, everyone knows (including clients/users) what a combination/variation is, and they just go to the t-shirt they want and when they're on the page they chose the color they want.

Edited by Vico_b (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Vico_b said:

Yes, Combinations

so what you want is the ability to show these combinations in (let say) mini-thumbnails on the catalog page, and if I click on a mini thumbnail, it goes to the selected combination of the product, instead of having 30x the same product on catalog page?

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for.

6 minutes ago, Vico_b said:

To be fair, everyone knows (including clients/users) what a combination/variation is, and they just go to the t-shirt they want and when they're on the page they chose the color they want.

Would you be willing to browse through 90 images to find the one you're looking for? I just think it looks better when it's done like on these two websites I sent in my previous post, but I'm constantly testing things out and looking for the best solution, haven't decided on anything yet.

I've been browsing through the modules for some time, there's a lot to choose from. I'm not sure this one is what I'm looking for, I'll test it more in the upcoming days. Thank you for your input Vico_b.

What do you think about these two websites and the way they show their products?

They're in polish but you don't really need to understand what is written there, you can just compare product's names to see they are the same. Do you have any idea how to do it in Presta? The only way I can think of is to simply add the same product multiple times with a different name and use canonical urls to avoid duplicate content.

Hi again,

Looking at the examples you gave, there is no easy answer. If you do them as separated products, you will have duplicate content for sure, and i'm not sure if rel=canonical will help much, some SEO expert should say how it is best in such cases. But if you do them as separated products, make sure to change their names, for example Window blind 1 - Red, or you can use more creatively Window blind 1 - California Red or Window blind 1 - trending Red and things like that to make them different a bit.

I think that the users are the main concern, and it is best to try both variants and experiment and see how people will react and prefer. For example, make one dummy store and then create two categories, in one category add them as separated products and in the other add them as combined products, then ask like 20 people from your friends (who don't work in the industry), to browse both categories and to tell you what they liked and preferred more. This way you won't need to remake thousands of products later and you will have an idea about what users like better.

The examples you gave they basically did them both ways, they have all the colors and images in the same product combined but they also make the same product for each color too with just a different color name and picture as main.

These examples do the exact same thing as the combination option from prestashop

Just try it, go to a product, set it up as "product with combination" and then go to combination tab setup your combination and associate the right image to each of your 30 combinations. Go to front office and check your product and you'll see the same mecanic as your example. And they doesn't appears on catalog pages.

• 6 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, lgdecor said:

I've been browsing through the modules for some time, there's a lot to choose from. I'm not sure this one is what I'm looking for, I'll test it more in the upcoming days. Thank you for your input Vico_b.

What do you think about these two websites and the way they show their products?

They're in polish but you don't really need to understand what is written there, you can just compare product's names to see they are the same. Do you have any idea how to do it in Presta? The only way I can think of is to simply add the same product multiple times with a different name and use canonical urls to avoid duplicate content.

Hello!

lgdecor, I'm facing the same problem. How did you managed to solve this? 

• 9 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, lgdecor said:

We need the same solution,

We want to show combinations on catalog pages.

and when they click on the combination the redirect to on product and highlighted the same combination they chose.

any module to do that? 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

i'm looking for the same thing : displaying product as many times as they have attributes, ex: Product#1 - blue / Product#1 - red / Product#2 - blue / Product#2 - orange.

I found a module that does this @lgdecor and @mansour codes ( https://addons.prestashop.com/en/combinaisons-customization/20451-products-by-attributes-display-combinations-attributes.html ) but it doesn't work for me because I need it to work on CMS pages and it only works on category pages (or default pages that show products).

if anyone has an idea on how to override Category and Product classes to do this, it would be amazing