1.7.5.0 Attributes without combinations/url change

lgdecor

Hello,

I've been trying to find the best way to build my shop for quite some time now and I'm still all at sea.

I want to build a shop selling mostly roller blinds, I know I need a module what will calculate the price based on width and lenght - that part is pretty clear to me. The problem I have is with attributes.

1. Is there a way to create attributes without making combinations? I'm talking about attributes that DO NOT affect the price in any way and do not really change the product - like fabric colour, type of mechanism and so on. The way it works now is that Prestashop creates very long urls with all these attributes which is useless information in terms of SEO - is there a way to avoid it? I just want the customers to be able to adjust a product without changing the url. I'm aware of a module Attribute Wizard Pro but I'm not sure if it's the best solution in my case - I'll explain why below.

2. I would also like to have some of the combinations/attributes shown in category pages, most importantly different colours. For example: The price of a roller blind depends on the type of fabric it's made of. I have 10 different fabrics and each fabric is in 30 different colours. If I put colour as an attribute I will only have 10 products in total which just doesn't look good - I want to create an 'illusion' that there are hundreds of products in my shop. It also makes a much better visual experience when you have all the colours in category page which you can then filter using a panel in the left column. If I put 30 colours in one product, the filters are pretty much useless.

So the question is: instead of using Attribute Wizard Pro module, wouldn't it be better to add for example 300 products with the same description (colours as different products), use default Prestashop attributes for the rest of things you can configure in a roller blind (like type of mechanism) and then use canonical urls to avoid duplicate content? Or would I have to resign from using attributes at all in this case? Or maybe there is another module that would allow me to show different combinations in category pages?

I produce everything on my own so anything regarding stock management doesn't matter at all.

I'll appreciate any advice on how to procede.

Best regards

Edited by decorbay (see edit history)