[Info] Tips for upgrading to 1.4

I thought it might help to have any tips/suggestions to help with upgrading in one thread. That way, as we come across things that might help to share with the rest of the community we can all add them here.

My contribution to get the ball rolling (initial testing should of course be performed on a separate server from your production site!):

Many people use 3rd party modules on their site and these may not necessarily be compatible with 1.4. It may seem obvious but it is strongly recommended that you disable all non-standard modules before you start the upgrade process. You should then also back-up and delete their code and directories from the server. The aim at stage 1 of the upgrade process is to get the core verified and stable. You should also switch to the default theme.

Once you've managed to get your store running with your upgraded core code, database and the default theme, you should next prepare your custom theme. At this stage you could try installing and enabling your 3rd-party modules, especially if your custom theme layout relies on them. If any of them fail or break the admin screens, then you will need to locate updated versions before you can proceed, or disable and remove them.

The first step in upgrading the theme would be to copy the 1.4 default theme into a directory, then overwrite these files with the files from your pre-1.4 custom theme (to ensure that added files are present). You can then use file comparison software to view the changes and merge them in. The level of difficulty will obviously depend on how customised your theme is. In some cases it may even be easier to start from scratch.

Paul

Many people use 3rd party modules on their site and these may not necessarily be compatible with 1.4. It may seem obvious but it is strongly recommended that you disable all non-standard modules before you start the upgrade process. You should then also back-up and delete their code and directories from the server. The aim at stage 1 of the upgrade process is to get the core verified and stable.

Ok. Great idea Paul... problem is that I followed the install guide and now it's too late... how do I get to disable custom modules now that my module page in the BO is blank?
Thanks
John

I thought it might help to have any tips/suggestions to help with upgrading in one thread. That way, as we come across things that might help to share with the rest of the community we can all add them here.

My contribution to get the ball rolling (initial testing should of course be performed on a separate server from your production site!):

Many people use 3rd party modules on their site and these may not necessarily be compatible with 1.4. It may seem obvious but it is strongly recommended that you disable all non-standard modules before you start the upgrade process. You should then also back-up and delete their code and directories from the server. The aim at stage 1 of the upgrade process is to get the core verified and stable. You should also switch to the default theme.

Once you've managed to get your store running with your upgraded core code, database and the default theme, you should next prepare your custom theme. At this stage you could try installing and enabling your 3rd-party modules, especially if your custom theme layout relies on them. If any of them fail or break the admin screens, then you will need to locate updated versions before you can proceed, or disable and remove them.

The first step in upgrading the theme would be to copy the 1.4 default theme into a directory, then overwrite these files with the files from your pre-1.4 custom theme (to ensure that added files are present). You can then use file comparison software to view the changes and merge them in. The level of difficulty will obviously depend on how customised your theme is. In some cases it may even be easier to start from scratch.

Paul

Great advice, Paul! And prestashop is a great car/cms.

But this doesn't seem to be any different than what the upgrade instructions say (other than testing it out in lab conditions).

I went through this process when the beta came out and it is sad to see that not much has been worked on since & not a lot of testing has gone into the upgrade process itself.

I know it is difficult for every upgrade to go smoothly due to all the modifications that happen during the course of a carts life, but a suggestion would be - work on an upgrade installer that works and reports usable errors (and not sql errors that only 20% know how to read)

I am waiting very patiently for some sweeping fixes, or maybe a step-by-step instructions page with common problems that doesn't just brush over the necessities.

IE - test, document, and spend some time on detailed instructions (addressing common issues.)

These forums are great, but sometimes searching them can be tedious. it might be wise just to reference sticky links in the instructions as well to save time...

thanks Paul - you always seem to be trying to help out!

Prestashop seems to be making leaps and bounds of progress, but compare the current upgrade process to that of Wordpress which is:

Back up the database and click on a button. Sit back for a minute or two and you're done.

Easy upgrading will help increase the user base and make the platform more robust. As it is now, there are too many things to keep track of to risk it, especially if you've got an established store that is already taking in orders.

Prestashop seems to be making leaps and bounds of progress, but compare the current upgrade process to that of Wordpress which is:

Back up the database and click on a button. Sit back for a minute or two and you're done.

Easy upgrading will help increase the user base and make the platform more robust. As it is now, there are too many things to keep track of to risk it, especially if you've got an established store that is already taking in orders.

Yeah I totaly agree with u. there should be just one button to upgrade....