How to change link text (anchor text) in breadcrumb

Usman Ahmed

The only think you can do as far as I know is edit the breadcrumb.tpl and add the main anchor text you want.
This will be the same on every page though but better than just having it set as home.
What you could also do is add a sentence on all your pages with a link back to the homepage or category page because google likes links to main pages from other pages inside the main body text.

Hope this has been useful.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have already discussed why adding breadcrumbs is beneficial for both user experience and SEO: they help users to understand where they are in relation to the rest of the site and provide better interlinking and thus easier crawling.

However what also should be mentioned is that usng your keywords in each and every level of the breadcrumb path may look like you are stuffing your internal anchor tet with keywords.

There is a good thread at WebmasterWorld offering an example of how to mind the usage of your primary keyword in the breadcrumbs.

Thus, using the word “widget” in every link of the breadcrumb, like here:

[Widget] > [blue Widgets] > fluffy blue fast widget

you repeat the word “widget(s) too often throughout the site and thus risk “cranking the keyword-in-anchor text factor up to a high level

To avoid this situation (that may seem suspicious to Google), it may be wise to use synonyms and other relevant words

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi I just wanted to give my armature input on this and is something that may be useful as I just learned myself. I use the advanced top menu. In the back office under all your categories and breadcrum categories it will allow you to add your keyword terms in the breadcrumb and hide part of it if you choose to so it's not all bundled up. Such as my site I am building is a pet store and I am using dog lets say beds in the menu it will only shows beds but within the url it will show dog beds and so on throughout the whole site just depending on what your keywords are. I am only learning right now but this is very useful info to use keywords in the breadcrumb

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In php file there is check added which prevents showing our breadcrumb if SEO breadcrumb is active. This is done to avoid two breadcrumbs at a time. So when you on that checkbox it simply hides our breadcrumb.

The anchor text used in links continues to be a substantial ranking factor, despite recent algorithmic updates from Google which have reportedly diluted their importance. When breadcrumb navigation is enabled on a website, it creates anchor text links on every page of the website which link back to the home page of the site. 

Now the question is: it should show at least one breadcrumb from the SEO plugin. Yes, it should show that, but it will not show just by ticking on that checkbox. You need to do it’s setting which is given below the checkbox in that page. And then you need to put the code given there in your template file. Then only it will work.

There is also link given to the tutorial page http://yoast.com/wordpress/breadcrumbs/.

I think this will help you out.You can read more about it By going through the tutorial given up or http://perthmarketingsolutions.com/

So if user choose SEO breadcrumb over our one, then one need to set up that accordingly.