Prestashop 1.7 going into la-la land

Hello - I'm having a problem with PrestaShop 1.7.5.1.  It will be working well for a while, then it simply takes forever to do something - in the neighborhood of 2-5 minutes to bring up a page or to save an item.  Other times, it will go immediately.

I'm not sure how else to explain it.

It seems to be using a LOT of memory - I keep getting excessive resource usage warnings on my server where the process is taking 587M, 588M, 634M of memory - what could be happening?  This is a brand new store that we are in the process of setting up.  We are adding products, setting up the name of the store, etc.  Nothing too fancy yet.  I installed one add-on for PayPal, but besides that, it's a standard setup with the standard "classic" theme.

Any suggestions of what to look at would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.

I am using PHP 7.1

Gary.

Edited by garyhoffmann
Needed to put php info (see edit history)

We were (are) having similar issues with 1.6 (well TB now)

Two things to check in the first instance

1) You are not under a ddos attack - we were.

2) We were using PHP-FPM service for Apache. I have switched that off and everything seems a lot more steady

Disclaimer - I am not a server expert so I have no idea if PHP-FPM service for Apache is having an effect or not, or even what it actually does. BUT we do now seem to be more stable. I was resetting the service two or theee times a day. But since switching it off a couple of days ago all has been fine. The "working" week may of course make a difference

I was using PHP-FPM, but have turned that off, I restarted the MySQL service.  I have not tried to restart Apache after changing this - maybe I will try that.  My servers are constantly under attack, but I have quite a few safe guards in place to try to alleviate some of that.

Thanks for the pointers.  I continue to look for additional ideas in the meantime.  I will write back if restarting Apache solves the problem.

Gary.

Interesting - I turned on the profiler - to load one page (the stats page in the BO, it read the translation table 356 times.  That's a problem in and of itself.  There's no reason for it to constantly reload the translations table.

Does anyone have any idea of what's causing this?

Thanks,

Gary.

The short answer to this - don't use the translation engine - I had one translation in the software and it read the database 356 times to paint one page.  I removed the one row from that table and now pages paint normally again.

Lesson learned - change the tpl files rather than using the translation engine - if anyone from PS actually reads these forums, please take a look at this.

Gary.

I have not been able to figure out what caused it, but I made a backup of the site, re uploaded all the files (which I saved on my computer), re-copied the img folder and everything is better now.  Something must have gotten out of whack, but I have no idea what it was.

it's difficult  to debug performance issue but here are a few steps to help isolate where the problem 'might be'.

on performance page 

disable 3rd party modules

restest

if still seeing slow then disable overrides

retest

=====

out of the box ps is pretty well tuned it's when one adds new feature, i.e. module that maybe does not run well for your catalog.

hope this helps

https://www.screencast.com/t/L0yIhYbnMr

That would have been great - I found that simply replacing the files actually worked, though.  I'm trying to do a comparison of the files I downloaded when I saved off the original files to what I re-uploaded.  There are a lot of differences, so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Nothing like a hack situation, just additional config files, cache files obviously, etc.  I think something got corrupted but I'm not sure what it was.

When I tried to go into Performance before doing this, it would eventually timeout and go back to the homepage of the website (after about 300 seconds).  The last thing that did paint took 243 seconds to come up.  That's when I decided to give replacing the files.  There was really nothing else to try because the site was completely unusable.

Thank you for your pointers.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, garyhoffmann said:

That would have been great - I found that simply replacing the files actually worked, though.  I'm trying to do a comparison of the files I downloaded when I saved off the original files to what I re-uploaded.  There are a lot of differences, so I'm not sure what to make of that.  Nothing like a hack situation, just additional config files, cache files obviously, etc.  I think something got corrupted but I'm not sure what it was.

When I tried to go into Performance before doing this, it would eventually timeout and go back to the homepage of the website (after about 300 seconds).  The last thing that did paint took 243 seconds to come up.  That's when I decided to give replacing the files.  There was really nothing else to try because the site was completely unusable.

Thank you for your pointers.

see beyondcompare...it's pretty great tool