I ask for advice on Prestashop

zkuweb

Hello friends:

I am looking for a platform for stores, but I have known that Prestashop (I do not know) has many problems and I do not want to spend more time fixing errors than configuring them.

Do you advise me to start the learning curve or look for another alternative? Thank you

(sorry my english)

No, not sarcasm. A year ago it would have been and I was about to ditch 1.7, installed alternatives, tested the competition like 30 bees, etc.. Spent a lot of time on Magento. 

There is nothing better imo than PS 1.75. You'll obviously need a bit of patience to set it up or use an expert if you don't know the basics of apache, php, mysql, etc. 

So far as setting up a 1.6 shop I think it would be a major backward step, 1.6 looks old and is quite sluggish compared to 1.75.

Just be prepared to set it up carefully, find a well written theme and test it extensively before going live. You ideally need a testing domain, clone that, edit paths and off you go.

Any changes (php versions, updates, etc) and new mods, install them on your testing domain first. Really is that simple. And backup religiously both your db and files before and after changes.

I really do like PS 1.75. But each to their own.

I have to disagree.
PrestaShop 1.7 is just slow, and its architecture is inconsistent and flawed. Look at the new installs page, half of them don't work from scratch. People don't want to wrestle when installing a new software, they need something that works right off the bat. 1.6 was better, thirtybees is faster than 1.6 and corrected several of its bugs.

There is no amount of preparation that can account for errors that are not verbose. Pages won't load without reason, symfony pages will spawn 404 in mint installations.
Any slight change will cause a butterfly effect and say goodbye to your last month of work. Sorry, but I've had way too many clients complaining about it already, and nightmares debugging.

My opinion stays.

7 hours ago, zkuweb said:

Thirtybees looks very good, what do you think?

We have transferred to thirtybees and find it excellent. Good support in the forums also

I have been using Prestashop for last 4 years. Year ago i was curious about Prestashop 1.7 and tried on a project, but it disappointed me. And now i'm still on 1.6 for my every project. Obviously I will try thirty bees for my future projects.

NemoPS, I'm looking at upgrading my PSv1.5 shop. I'm currently using mySQL 5.6. and want to upgrad to PHP 7.3 so I'm looking at PSv1.7, PS1.6 and TBv1.0

Both PS1.6 and TBv1.0 seem to run on PHP 7.2/7.3

My main concern for both PS1.6 and TBv1.0 is that existing modules that will work with PHP 7.3 and beyond, as well as mySQL/MariaDB upgrades will leave many modules behind. Also most new modules in development seems to be going to PSv1.7.

So on one hand PSv1.7 for staying current may be an option. That said, I think PSv1.8 is just going to be a repeat of the past and just break everything again. I've been playing with PSv1.7.5.1, ... it is getting better, ... but I agree it is like working with smoke. It just isn't very stable. For every step forward I get 2 steps back.

I really like TB and I wish there was more info/roadmap available to help make deciding on which horse I should ride.