New module does not show up in module page

Hi,

I created a new module following the tutorial overhere: https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/modules/creation/
But I immediately got stuck. 

Basically I created a directory 'mymodule' in the modules folder, added a mymodule.php with the code from the tutorial and then I am stuck at where the tutorial says: 

Now go to your back office, then in the Modules page (found at “Modules” > “Modules & Services”) choose the Selection tab. The module is visible in the modules list, with its information displayed – and no icon for now.

The new module mymodule does not show up and I can not continue with the tutorial.

Running Prestashop 1.7.5 with classic theme. I installed a module by uploading a ZIP file and that went fine.

Is there a way to force rescanning the modules folder?

John

I zipped and uploaded it and it got installed without any error messages. It shows up in the list of modules.

Is...

1. ...the tutorial wrong (install modules MUST be done by uploading ZIP) ? 
  2. ...something wrong with my installation ?
  3. ...something wrong with my settings ?
  4. ...a bug in Prestashop ?
Edited by Jaep (see edit history)

I was struggeling with the same and could my modules only get installed with the .zip install in 1.7. Guess it's because the changed the module system in 1.7 but forgot to update the documentation, because in 1.6. it works as described (and even with zip you have to trigger the install after the upload manually).

But glad to hear it works for you.

• 5 months later...

This is a PITA because I am not developing on my PC, but on the server - is there any way to get the module recognised on the server, rather than having to copy it back to the PC, zip it and then re-upload it?

3 hours ago, Jeff A said:

s there any way to get the module recognised on the server, rather than having to copy it back to the PC, zip it and then re-upload it?

Yes, usually if your module is correct and placed in the modules foler you will find it under "Modules Catalog" (not Modules Manager!) with a install button. I was searching for the same for a long time I still find the logic quite confusing ;)

• 3 months later...

I added "improve" on my nginx config file, so that it now looks like this 

location ~ /(international|_profiler|improve|module|product|feature|attribute|supplier|combination|specific-price|configure)/(.*)$ {
        try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?q=$uri&$args $admin_dir/index.php$is_args$args;     
    }

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, mayjorblayke said:

is there any way to get the module recognised on the server, rather than having to copy it back to the PC, zip it and then re-upload it?

Yes, as I said, put in on your server (e.g. FTP) and you will find it in the module catalog (not manager!) with a install button.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/30/2019 at 3:42 AM, JBW said:

Yes, as I said, put in on your server (e.g. FTP) and you will find it in the module catalog (not manager!) with a install button.

Oh my goodness..... Spent so much time here. CATALOG, as opposed to MANAGER..... (face plant...)