Pagespeed Performance: How realistic they are? How does your website perform?

mono1

What do you say about making a consensus about this topic?

In my opinion PSI are a bit unrealistic, in the sense it gives low rating for websites performing relatively fast and with relatively good user experience.

For example one of my websites:

• Domain: citybikegear.com .
  • Prestashop 1.6 - Multilingual site(Redirects based on viewers' browser language settings).
  • Hosting Server based on Germany.
  • All tests are made using citybikegear.com (not www.citybikegear.com, not https://www.citybikegear.com, and certainly not https://www.citybikegear.com/en) 
  • GT Metrix: Pagespeed 85~95 | YSlow 82~89 (Browser Chrome: Test Location London) 
  • Pingdom: Performance 87, loads in 840ms (Test from London)
  • PSI: Mobile 53 | Desktop 87

As you all know these results are not constant, they vary from time to time during the same day maybe because of the load of work my server has to deal with at any given time (especially on a shared hosting plan or low end VPS). I have not some expensive hosting. Rather an economic one I would say.

So what's your experience on this? How do you perform?

Let's exchange some info and opinions on this matter (and any suggestions for improving performance are welcomed also :) )

hi mono1, we use a variety of tools, gtmetrix helps us with deflate/expries and other mostly htaccess type stuff.  

time is better spent improving 1) mysql whether that be changing config to fit PS 2) php version/run-time (we like FPM)  

long story short it is a lot cheaper and easier to improve hosting by turning what is built by hosting or to upgrade to new more powerful hosting as tuning PS application is expensive and usually not a great return on investment.

happy selling, el

18 minutes ago, El Patron said:

hi mono1, we use a variety of tools, gtmetrix helps us with deflate/expries and other mostly htaccess type stuff.  

time is better spent improving 1) mysql whether that be changing config to fit PS 2) php version/run-time (we like FPM)  

long story short it is a lot cheaper and easier to improve hosting by turning what is built by hosting or to upgrade to new more powerful hosting as tuning PS application is expensive and usually not a great return on investment.

happy selling, el

Hi El Patron.

To say the truth gtmetrix are not disapponiting. What is disappointing is to see so LOW results in Google's Pagespeed Insights for mobile devices, especially if the real performance is not that bad at all - I mean as a real experience. I don't know if you checked the website how it performs for a user - ok its quite far from perfect, but I consider it an above average performance.

Concerning mysql changes what do you have in mind? I personally am going to make changes in order to install and use APCu - but this is php related.

PHP version is 7.0; I believe it's smooth.

Now.. your last line is the key as I see it. It's good to fine tune after fine tune, but the hardware talks. And that will be my next step (after APCu). A better performance server.

Thanks El Patron

25 minutes ago, mono1 said:

Hi El Patron.

To say the truth gtmetrix are not disapponiting. What is disappointing is to see so LOW results in Google's Pagespeed Insights for mobile devices, especially if the real performance is not that bad at all - I mean as a real experience. I don't know if you checked the website how it performs for a user - ok its quite far from perfect, but I consider it an above average performance.

Concerning mysql changes what do you have in mind? I personally am going to make changes in order to install and use APCu - but this is php related.

PHP version is 7.0; I believe it's smooth.

Now.. your last line is the key as I see it. It's good to fine tune after fine tune, but the hardware talks. And that will be my next step (after APCu). A better performance server.

Thanks El Patron

agreed....overpower the ps appl with tuned hosting.....so many fail in ecommerce by being stingy with their hosting.  For us if you say 'I like my hosting because it's cheap', we end the conversation there lol.

note: did not spend anytime on your shop in respect to performance I do that enough for business but focusing on mysql is best bang for the buck.....make sure to check via phpmyadimin, when open click your host, not the database, there you will find decent stats and ones that need attention are shown in red.

be warned 'everyone', do not use a cache module for PrestaShop.  We help new clients who have a lot of issues but great sales, when we remove the cache module problems go away....lol...best advice I can give.

el