Upgrading from PS 1.5.2.0 to PS 1.7.X - what to expect

HI,

Any opinions or help appreciated in advance.

I am in the process of upgrading a default theme website using Prestashop Version 1.5.2.0 to the latest 1.7.X version and want to purchase a new theme from the PS add-ons. 

What will and won't work as far as my MySQL database ? I hope my products and photos will successfully port over but am not sure what to expect? 

Currently Using:

Store information

Prestashop version: 1.5.2.0

Database information

MySQL version: 10.2.12-MariaDB-log

MySQL engine: InnoDB

• 4 weeks later...

1) first consider new hosting package as your existing hosting is as dated as your PS.  You can stay with the same hosting.

2) create a test copy of your shop, in a subdomain for example, get it up and running then back up the files and db manually so you can restore test copy and rerun upgrade

this is a stressless process because you have freedom to see how/what your upgrade will require without affecting your prod shop.

• 4 weeks later...

OK,  I installed Prestashop 1.7.5 using Soft

On 11/28/2018 at 3:38 PM, ANGELOinNY said:

HI,

Any opinions or help appreciated in advance.

I am in the process of upgrading a default theme website using Prestashop Version 1.5.2.0 to the latest 1.7.X version and want to purchase a new theme from the PS add-ons. 

What will and won't work as far as my MySQL database ? I hope my products and photos will successfully port over but am not sure what to expect? 

Currently Using:

Store information

Prestashop version: 1.5.2.0

Database information

MySQL version: 10.2.12-MariaDB-log

MySQL engine: InnoDB

OK...I made my move (I am on a shared Inmotion server - My Host, Inmotion,  claims to be a "Prestahop Partner" whatever that means?)

I used the Softaculous Installer in Cpanel and installed Prestashop 1.7.5 in a test folder called /shopping

(Classic Theme):     https://lindasilverdesigns.com/shopping/index.php

OK, it worked out of the box except the Products page allows items to be added to Inventory/products but they don't show up in the Products dialogue in Back-Office ???????.

Once a product is entered it does appear on the proper page/category and the "Stock Movement" dialogue but they can't be edited or accessed in Products????

Also, I get a "500 internal server error" (see screenshot attachment)  on the Product page/dialogue. I also installed this similar install version 1.7.5 on another domain on the same server and received the same results and errors. It appears the mySQL database is alive and healthy and my host claims there are no errors on the server and it is a 3rd Party App issue (ie PRESTAHOP 1.7.5).

Also was curious if an import in Cpanel using phpMyAdmin utility would successfully import my products from the previous Prestashop 1.5 mySQL database or is that a pipe dream ????....I did perform the SQL export from the old database to the new one and it didn't seem to make a difference or cause any errors - received a "Import Successful" message from the utility which appeared promising. Does this import method work should I get the above problem resolved - any procedures I have missed here???

Is it possible Prestashop released a failing installation for 1.7.5???  This is very disappointing at this point.

Worst case is I would have to manually enter the old products to this new build but what's the point in staying with Prestashop at this point?  Again, very disappointing.

Any help is appreciated....My host claims all the php version requirements have been met...that was my first guess on this issue but doesn't seem to be the issue here.

The blog info for troubleshooting 1.7.5 is limited online....anyone having any success with this version?  What's the point in the new versions if they don't work????

prestashop1.7.5_500error_products.jpg

duh......just went into the Back-Office "Module Manager" to explore some and the 'PRODUCTS' module is not installed???????  

That might explain the "500 error"

Do I have to buy this module separately?  That would be like getting an open-source car without wheels?   I already realize I have to buy a Braintree or similar module to accept PayPal...even that was once free...........What product module do I need for products or is this a malfunction?...pray tell?  Looks like a malfunction to me?

prestashop1.7.5_missing_module.jpg