Oh no....changing the Default Category...SEO impact?

noesac

I just realised that I accidentally set every product I have to the default category of "Home".

It's been like this for over a year now!!

I need to change it back to the proper category so that I can run some SEO modules that I bought...however will changing the default category cause me problems with SEO? I'm worried that it will undo a lot of my hard work...

Also...does anyone know if changing the Friendly URL is risky? Will there be an SEO impact?

dont worry.. just change your products.. although you have them in 'home', this doesnt really mean anything as home in itself is not a category page. As long as you have them in your main catgegories, you can ssafely delete them from home.

As for changing category/product names (or the friendly url as you put it), yes its a problem and shouldn't be done on a regular basis. But, as long as you 301 them to the new categories, you will be fine. Or, just install Magic SEO or this mod...

http://www.presto-changeo.com/prestashop-modules/25-duplicate-url-redirect.html

which will do it automatically.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same case which I found I initially set lot of products at "home" as their default category.
I'm pretty sure I have set their subcategories but just not as default tho.
I want to reverse them so that their default categories will be shown as where exact they are in subcategories.
Is there any way I can do it?
I want to do that so I can fill their meta info accordingly.
Thanks!

I'm in the same case which I found I initially set lot of products at "home" as their default category.
I'm pretty sure I have set their subcategories but just not as default tho.
I want to reverse them so that their default categories will be shown as where exact they are in subcategories.
Is there any way I can do it?
I want to do that so I can fill their meta info accordingly.
Thanks!

Yeah I just got one of my team to do it manually. It's a lot of work but I'm always afraid of running a script to make such a core change.