Best Hosting for Prestashop???ANy Suggestions?

I will be selling Sports Items with good quality images. More than 5000 products will be listed almost. Please let me know which is the best hosting service. My friend suggested BLUEHOST but I was personally considering HOST GATOR. I'd like to hear from you guys...Tell me which 1 is best for using prestashop. Remember I am a newbie and dont know much about anything. I am learning from forums and tutorials. So tell me a hosting which is easier to use and all.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several factors to consider when choosing a webhost and webhosting plans:

1. Location (country, state) of webhost and their servers.
Servers located locally or within the same country means faster loading for local online customers. It also means it's easier for you to reach and communicate with the webhost tech staff.

2. Server specifications
This is very important as this allows or restricts what programs or scripts you want to install & use later on.
Be sure to check on this thoroughly with programs you want to run on.
Specs to check on: Type of server (Windows or Linux), PHP version, Apache version, which SQL database & version

3. Webhosting Plan specifications
You have to know
a) How much webspace you need/want,
B) How much (minimum) bandwidth per month is required
c) Number of databases are offered for the specific plan and how many do you need
d) Are there any open-source scripts that are easily installed from the server admin panel (eg Wordpress, Joomla etc)
e) Is the price reasonable for the subscription period AND the plan specifications?
f) Is the plan specification able to take higher traffic and webspace load than what you expected/projected if sales and visitors traffic increase?

4. Webhost reliability and level/quality of tech support
One of the most important aspects to consider. After sales tech suppport is very important when you encounter problems or questions you may need to enquire with them. Are they easy to reach and are they able to answer/solve the problems within a reasonable time frame?

Personally, I chose neither of the 2 webhosts you mention as I'm not in the same country as them (and their servers), nor satisfied with the plan specifications they offered. You may want widen your choice to 3 or 4 webhosts/plans and choosing the one you feel is most suitable. I'm currently using one of Vodien's shared webhosting plans.

• Like 3

There are several factors to consider when choosing a webhost and webhosting plans:

1. Location (country, state) of webhost and their servers.
Servers located locally or within the same country means faster loading for local online customers. It also means it's easier for you to reach and communicate with the webhost tech staff.

2. Server specifications
This is very important as this allows or restricts what programs or scripts you want to install & use later on.
Be sure to check on this thoroughly with programs you want to run on.
Specs to check on: Type of server (Windows or Linux), PHP version, Apache version, which SQL database & version

3. Webhosting Plan specifications
You have to know
a) How much webspace you need/want,
B) How much (minimum) bandwidth per month is required
c) Number of databases are offered for the specific plan and how many do you need
d) Are there any open-source scripts that are easily installed from the server admin panel (eg Wordpress, Joomla etc)
e) Is the price reasonable for the subscription period AND the plan specifications?
f) Is the plan specification able to take higher traffic and webspace load than what you expected/projected if sales and visitors traffic increase?

4. Webhost reliability and level/quality of tech support
One of the most important aspects to consider. After sales tech suppport is very important when you encounter problems or questions you may need to enquire with them. Are they easy to reach and are they able to answer/solve the problems within a reasonable time frame?

Personally, I chose neither of the 2 webhosts you mention as I'm not in the same country as them (and their servers), nor satisfied with the plan specifications they offered. You may want widen your choice to 3 or 4 webhosts/plans and choosing the one you feel is most suitable. I'm currently using one of Vodien's shared webhosting plans.

Thanks for your answer. I will choose any of the two either BLUEHOST or HOSTGATOR.
Both of them are offering me DEDICATED IP & PRIVATE SSL for $158 yearly. The SSL is from COMODO.

I would like you to comment on SSL. What do you suggest? I will be using MONEYBOOKERS, PAYPAL, BANKWIRE, ETC as payments method on my website. I will also use CREDIT CARD in future.

What do you suggest? Shall I select a normal plan and then later on add SSL and DEDICATED IP??

Thanks for your answer. I will choose any of the two either BLUEHOST or HOSTGATOR.
Both of them are offering me DEDICATED IP & PRIVATE SSL for $158 yearly. The SSL is from COMODO.

I would like you to comment on SSL. What do you suggest? I will be using MONEYBOOKERS, PAYPAL, BANKWIRE, ETC as payments method on my website. I will also use CREDIT CARD in future.

What do you suggest? Shall I select a normal plan and then later on add SSL and DEDICATED IP??

SSL from COMODO is quite reliable and reputable. It's an added advantage and assurance you can give to your customers who are particular about online payment security and privacy compared to none. It's not really a large competitive advantage though as most online retailers have SSL, but you can reframe it as part of customer service/care/experience which you show concern about.

Having SSL is also good as some payment gateways require SSL before authentication and smooth use of module is required (eg Paypal API module if you're using PS 1.3). As for credit card payment gateways, please check with the gateway vendors whether any SSL (and cert level) is required. This will help you in your planning and budgeting.

If SSL and dedicated IP are offered as part of a webhost package, you can consider them as a good choice if it's reasonably priced. Do compare the price of the value-added plan against the total cost of similar webhost plans (without the extras) + SSL + dedicated IP which you have to subscribe seperately. If the value-added plan gives better value-for-money, then I suggest you go for it. SSL prices, if acquired as standalone, can be higher or comparable to 1 year's webhosting cost.
  • Like 1

SSL from COMODO is quite reliable and reputable. It's an added advantage and assurance you can give to your customers who are particular about online payment security and privacy compared to none. It's not really a large competitive advantage though as most online retailers have SSL, but you can reframe it as part of customer service/care/experience which you show concern about.

Having SSL is also good as some payment gateways require SSL before authentication and smooth use of module is required (eg Paypal API module if you're using PS 1.3). As for credit card payment gateways, please check with the gateway vendors whether any SSL (and cert level) is required. This will help you in your planning and budgeting.

If SSL and dedicated IP are offered as part of a webhost package, you can consider them as a good choice if it's reasonably priced. Do compare the price of the value-added plan against the total cost of similar webhost plans (without the extras) + SSL + dedicated IP which you have to subscribe seperately. If the value-added plan gives better value-for-money, then I suggest you go for it. SSL prices, if acquired as standalone, can be higher or comparable to 1 year's webhosting cost.

Okay, Thanks for your reply. Am soon gonna launch my website and show it to you. I really like the way you answer. Your answers are detailed, informative and to the point.

Thanks alot.

I have been using Hostgator and they seem to be pretty good!

Thanks....but I guess there tech support is very poor. I had to wait 15 - 20 mins for there live chat. Where as on Bluehost it's rapid...

• 3 years later...

I will be selling Sports Items with good quality images. More than 5000 products will be listed almost. Please let me know which is the best hosting service. My friend suggested BLUEHOST but I was personally considering HOST GATOR. I'd like to hear from you guys...Tell me which 1 is best for using prestashop. Remember I am a newbie and dont know much about anything. I am learning from forums and tutorials. So tell me a hosting which is easier to use and all.

Hi, you should also estimate the traffic of your site before purchasing a hosting.

In your case, with 5000 products, so it's quite a large site, I think you'd better use a VPS hosting rather than shared hosting or you will get slow loading on your site

• Like 1

great reply by Kelvin Koh, I would just add that a merchant also needs to consider volume.

Its good to know how many products you have, but if you don't properly forecast how many customers and visitors you will receive in the next month, 6 months, 18 months you will find yourself in a situation where you do not have enough server resources to handle that volume.

Do you expect to have 10 visitors to your website each hour?  Or 1000?  Will you run groupon deals where you might receive several thousand page views in a short period of time?

Be sure to use a load/performance tool to properly test your store for your anticipated volume.

I have used this in the past and it worked pretty well

http://loadimpact.com/

• 2 months later...

Well... if you are in a shared hosting plan the size of your store and traffic you will get will affect your speed, and so it will the traffic of your neigbors in the shared server... expect bad speed at peak times....

Vps seems to be a better option for a money making business...

As for host? In shared hosting seems to me for what I have heard that all can turn bad on peak times...

Nemo, you make great videos and seem to be a nice guy, but it seems to me that you may get some profit for advertising those big name players... Seems to me that smaller players are cheaper and therefore better for vps...  wooservers.com looks good in usa and nova.es and online.net look good in Europe..

Everybody, share your thoughts on this one because we will all need this one at one point in time...and its through forums that we can get (except from Nemo) fre add info

Cheers!!

Shared hosting is only bad if your hosting company isn't good -- most hosting companies are terrible. A good hosting company their shared hosting will be roughly equivalent to a VPS. The reason to get a VPS comes down to having root access which is necessary for some sites. The reason VPS has a reputation for being faster and having less bad neighbour problems is the result of even bad hosting companies not overselling their VPS service to the same extent as they do their shared hosting. Unless you need root access you are always better off moving you site to a better hosting company and staying with shared.  

You can install PrestaShop with just shell access and for most modern hosting you don't even need to bother with that since most allow you to install PrestaShop using the hosting panel. PHP, SQL and whatever else PrestaShop needs is already installed on almost all hosting services.

Root access would allow you to make changes to the actual server environment rather than accept the server in the generic setup that the hosting company has selected. It gives you control over Apache, SQL, PHP, and anything else you have installed. It also allows you to install any server applications you want. 

Where you are located is going to be relevant to any hosting suggestions. You want a good host that is local to your customers. Having a great host that is on the other side of the globe will lead to poor performance. 

• Like 1

VPS guarantee you what they offer to you (memory, bandwith...) so even if it´s shared, it acts as a dedicated server... that´s what they all promise... I hope is true... I still haven´t messed with them, but afer a bit, I must leave ipage´s share hosting... I think that small hosting providers are better that the mega names we all keep saying on internet ads...

VPS guarantee you what they offer to you (memory, bandwith...) so even if it´s shared, it acts as a dedicated server... that´s what they all promise... I hope is true... I still haven´t messed with them, but afer a bit, I must leave ipage´s share hosting... I think that small hosting providers are better that the mega names we all keep saying on internet ads...

That is what they promise but VPS is not the same as a dedicated server - you still have shared resources and you are still subject to having slowdowns because of other people's behaviour. Generally this is less of an issue because unlike selling shared hosting for $4/month there is enough profit in VPS to not put as much load on a server.

If you're considering VPS you should learn about the different types of virtualization. A OpenVZ VPS is different than a Xen VPS and while they both have the advantages and disadvantages if I was going to go the VPS root I personally would prefer Xen but since it is more expensive to implement at least when I was looking at VPS options most of what I saw was OpenVZ.

If the issue is resources I would go straight from shared to dedicated. The only time I would consider VPS is when my resource use is not sufficient to justify dedicated but I also need to have root access to make server wide changes.

• Like 1

It's apache and over it nginx as reverse proxy. Or something like that.

I can use mine .htaccess and have no issues.

They also have LiteSpeed servers. The dudes say it's even faster than apache+nginx but I don't need it. And I belive on LiteSpeed as you said we should write our rewrites by hand so.... no thanks! :D

Cloud hosting is a good option but you are still at the mercy of the hosting company when it comes to performance. This isn't typically an issue but it can be and I know people who left cloud because of inconsistent performance (although they were using the server for more than ecommerce). I can see cloud hosting eventually killing VPS but for people who absolutely can't risk having performance issues and that matters to them enough that they can justify the cost of dedicated then dedicated will always be the best option for them. I don't expect many (if any) PrestaShop stores fall into that type of performance critical use so this is mostly irrelevant for our purposes but would be relevant if you're considering using the server for more than just your online shop.

• Like 1

I use the cloudways digital ocean 1Gb server. Although that's not probably necessary for a lot of stores. I have lots of scripting and whatnot going on in the backend (couple other mysql databases etc).

But you can certainly try the 512Mb server on digital ocean and see how that scales and just clone/migrate your store to a bigger instance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

VinaHost SSD hosting service providers are powerful configuration , the memory of at least 2GB , 4GB , 6GB RAID 10 GISP technology accelerates data access , LiteSpeed ​​web server to help speed the website many times and Data Backup Free charges in the last 7 days , 24/7 technical support via telephone systems , ticket and livechat benefit Prestashop.

See more information :  https://vinahost.vn/e-commerce-hosting-ssd.html

Server Vietnam | Hosting Vietnam | Domain Vietnam |  VPS Vietnam | Email Hosting | Email Marketing

Edited by submitvianhost (see edit history)