Product combinations from multiple product stock

Hi, I am looking for some help with combinations.

It seems very bizarre that product combinations are not combinations by definition of the word!

My shop sells model railway items. As part of this, we offer customisation. For example, a customer may wish to order a locomotive with a digital decoder fitted. These are two separate physical items, that are combined to make one product. Often we'll offer the two combined products at less than the combined price. So why do I need to have separate quantities for each "combination"? I may have 5 locomotives of one type in stock, and no more available with the manufacturer, but there are about 12 options I offer with this. I can't add stock of 12 items when I only have 1!

So is it possible for Prestashop to see I have 5 locomotives, and say 10 of each type of digital decoder, and therefore show availability of 5 locos regardless of the decoder the customer chooses?

Additionally, we offer customisation of 'labour' - so there is no quantity associated with this. (For example, weathering - making the train dirty!). So is there away to make combinations available to purchase if:

Locomotive is in stock & The particular decoder specified is in stock (or allowed for out of stock ordering if not in stock) & Labour only customisation?

A couple of examples I'd like:

I have 5 locomotives, and 1 of each type of 10 different decoder options in stock. 

Customer wants to order 1 loco with decoder fitted and loco weathered.

Prestashop knows I have the loco, have the decoder, and weathering is labour only so allows the customer to order.

I have 5 locos in stock (not available to order when out of stock). I have 0 decoders of any type but they are available to order when out of stock. 

Customer wishes to order 1 locomotive with a decoder fitted.

Prestashop allows because I have the loco and can order in decoder.

I have 0 locos left (out of stock purchase not allowed). I have plenty decoders in stock

Customer tries to order one locomotive with a decoder.

Prestashop does not allow as the Locomotive is not available to order when out of stock.

Is this possible? If not, why not? I am sure there are many use cases like this!

By the way, when I talk of stock of locomotives above, this is of the same product - a multiple stock of the same item.

I am running 1.7.4