New Carrier/Shipping Constraints/Methods

Hi,

I'm new to Prestashop, and have been looking at the way shipping works, and for my business needs, it just isn't working very well.

To be clear, I've already hacked in a distance module that works using `getOrderShippingCostExternal` and `getOrderShippingCost`. However, the settings to get this to work are stored in the module's configuration page, when ideally, it would be better implemented as a new shipping_method as defined in Carrier.php, so that multiple carriers with these alternate ranges (time/ number of pieces/  distance, etc, etc) can be defined.

To be more clear, in Carrier.php there's a lot of hard coded uses of shipping by weight, or by price. How do I go about overriding ALL of this so that I can add a new shipping_method (SHIPPING_METHOD_NUMBER_TIME/ SHIPPING_METHOD_NUMBER_OF_ITEMS)? The DB structure is fine as it is....it's only the php that's limiting me.

It seems that the Carrier is always created using `new Carrier` rather than using a factory, so I'm a little at a loss on how I can sublass / instantiate modifications. (ideally it'd be great if `new Carrier` throughout the core code was replaced by `Context::getFactory('Carrier')->create()` or some such thing)

I'm hoping I've missed something because I'm new...any suggestions?

Cheers,

Craig