How hiring a developer to resolve a problem?

DArnaez

Hi guys! I need your advice. I have a Prestashop 1.6.21 store... that now for a mysterious reason is down. HTTP error 500. Even the hosting (hostgator) guys can't find the problem. So I posted the job in Upwork. and I'm receiving some offers. The first one bring my attention because the guy, even before to be hired ask me for access to FTP and admin-panel (I guess is the cpanel?) . So How should I proceed in this moment?  What is necessary and there is any risk? 

The website is www.ohmyicons.com

Thanks!

Hi

First to check how mysterious it is try to enable debug mode

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-blank-page-500-internal-server-error/

You may see some error that gives some explanation what is happening. Also in cpanel you can check error log.

And Upwork, like any other platform there are some risks of fraud but you should check score, reviews, years on Upwork and those 

kind of things. There are people that just spam job offer but also some that are reliable. For asking FTP and admin access is normal. 

They can not fix it by starring at you homepage :)  And admin panel could be just back office of PrestaShop. Hosting credentials 

are sometimes needed and that is cpanel.

I suggest full backup in any case

Did you enabled debug mode? any errors ?

Price for 1) from $20 to $150-$200  is how people value their time and  theirs countries economies.

and if add 2) well that $200 is affordable, more to say  bit low, for 1.7 upgrade. As still 1.6 to 1.7 is far from perfect.

Also depends on how many customized your shop is, 3rd party modules, theme... 

And again it is  is how people value their time and  theirs countries economies.

51 minutes ago, DArnaez said:

Hi guys! I need your advice. I have a Prestashop 1.6.21 store... that now for a mysterious reason is down. HTTP error 500. Even the hosting (hostgator) guys can't find the problem. So I posted the job in Upwork. and I'm receiving some offers. The first one bring my attention because the guy, even before to be hired ask me for access to FTP and admin-panel (I guess is the cpanel?) . So How should I proceed in this moment?  What is necessary and there is any risk? 

The website is www.ohmyicons.com

Thanks!

Warning: require_once(/home/ohmyosc1/public_html/tools/htmlpurifier/HTMLPurifier.standalone.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ohmyosc1/public_html/config/config.inc.php on line 135

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/ohmyosc1/public_html/tools/htmlpurifier/HTMLPurifier.standalone.php' (include_path='.:/opt/php56/lib/php') in /home/ohmyosc1/public_html/config/config.inc.php on line 135

these are the errors right now calling your website... a few minutes ago...

1. Ask yourself if you touched something... probably you did it wrong.

2. Ask your host if "they" touched something, maybe because of the "gamification" module problem of these days...

3. IMO, never give administrative access FTP/cPanet etc... to someone you don't know (personally). Just in case there's a company behind and you're working with them. It's a risk (high), it'a a privacy violation of your shop clients etc... no way.

Just my two cent.

Danny

I got

Fatal error: Class 'Smarty' not found in /home/ohmyosc1/public_html/classes/SmartyCustom.php on line 28

Which is strange. Like Danny sad something must have been changed. Check with hosting if they changed something

like PHP version, recently.

Ok this is what happen. 3 days ago I thought that could be a good idea to upgrade from 1.6.21 to 1.7.x . But before I did a full backup. The problem was that I had a hosting limit of  20 GB and the space used was 13 GB... so when the system made the backup it overpassed the limit reaching 26 GB.  Also.. when fixed the problem and had the chance to login in the admin... I started the Oneclick Upgrade plugin... to update to 1.7.  For any reason the upgrade stopped and crash the system. After that I never more was able to login or navigate.  Now I see that many files are 0 kb.

Dany, I totally agree with you about to avoid give full access to someone I don't know. My question is... for example now. Lets gues that with the backup restoration that Hostgator will do today or tomorrow.. I resolve the problem of accessibility to the website. After that I still want to upgrade to PS1.7.x . But I don't know anyone in person that knows about Prestashop.  For other side I'm sure that I will not pay hundred of dollars just for to make an upgrade. THe only reason to upgrade... (this is funny) is that I'm doing Facebook campaigns and want to use Facebook Pixels code... and the only plugin available only works with PS 1.7.

5 minutes ago, DArnaez said:

Dany, I totally agree with you about to avoid give full access to someone I don't know. My question is... for example now. Lets gues that with the backup restoration that Hostgator will do today or tomorrow.. I resolve the problem of accessibility to the website. After that I still want to upgrade to PS1.7.x . But I don't know anyone in person that knows about Prestashop.  For other side I'm sure that I will not pay hundred of dollars just for to make an upgrade. THe only reason to upgrade... (this is funny) is that I'm doing Facebook campaigns and want to use Facebook Pixels code... and the only plugin available only works with PS 1.7.

Let me honestly say...

never chase the upgrades.... expecially if you see something new that you desperately want inside your shop. (fb pixels in your case)

The excitement about the new thing distract you from having a "global vision" about your store. In this case you experienced your low host resources upgrading and then another problem with "one click" plugin. The question is.... Facebook Pixels is more important than your previous (and probably fully functional) store?

So.... my suggestion is...

1. Check with your host upgrading your GB to avoid space problems in the future and (depending of type of istallation)

check if they use a script to upgrade from a cPanel (most of the hosts have specific script to upgrade PS, Wordpress, PHPbb etc... they call "1 click software installers") .

2. Maintain your old store 1.16.1.21

3. Take your time to study all available documentation about upgrading to 1.7 if you need doing yourself

4. Take your time... because during these days PS servers had problems with some modules, and server problems may cause a lot of "different" problems, including a failed upgrade etc...

Danny

Again Danny... I'm with you and I always recommend the same. Never fall to the temptation to install all the new version because.. as you say.. many times the other modules or plugins are in conflict or not ready for the new version. It happen all the times with Windows versions... The reason because this time I wanted to upgrade is simply because Prestashop 1.7 was released many month ago.. (may be more than year?) and In many many sites there are offering templates for PS 1.7. What I don't understand is why the "stable" version still being the old one???  Is like if Microsoft  release in their official page Windows 10 but... they say "We recommend the stable version Windows XP". LOL.

1 minute ago, DArnaez said:

Again Danny... I'm with you and I always recommend the same. Never fall to the temptation to install all the new version because.. as you say.. many times the other modules or plugins are in conflict or not ready for the new version. It happen all the times with Windows versions... The reason because this time I wanted to upgrade is simply because Prestashop 1.7 was released many month ago.. (may be more than year?) and In many many sites there are offering templates for PS 1.7. What I don't understand is why the "stable" version still being the old one???  Is like if Microsoft  release in their official page Windows 10 but... they say "We recommend the stable version Windows XP". LOL.

Just because old versions have an history. The new ones no. Or not yet.

E.commerce softwares are delicate programmes, just because you need to communicate with extra modules, different payments methods, customers details etc... so there's need an extra caution everytime we want to change something that works 'till now. It's obvious, but believe me, most of the people don't pay attention to these simple rules...

And it costs time then... in some cases... money.

Danny

In reply for HostGator problem. I had same problem and they couldn't find solution.  Go into software and select PHP Selector. Make sure and set the PHP version to the latest so that Prestashop can run. This solved my problem for tha issue