order confirmation mail missing

Hello

I have this strange issue - some mail like the default prestashop order confirmation and new_order mail from mailalert module are sometimes not being sent. I know they are sometimes not sent, because I cant find them in Advanced->E-mail. - but I don´t know why this is.

The thing is that the same customer can order twice one day with the mails being sent fine the first or second time also just one of the two mails for an order could be sent.

It seems very random and strange - did any of you encounter this behaviour before and can point my to a solution? 

My guess is your on a shared host and that container has reached it max limit of processes at that very second when they bought.  In my experience, some hosting limits how many processes every shared host can have at one time and if you google this with your hosts name you might find out if yours is one.

Because this is just not sending your probably not even getting a exim or dovecot mail log of it. Very hard to troubleshoot.

See if your hosting has a process limit, as that is normally the issue for random intermittent problems.

If you log into your  hosting control panel there should be somewhere that shows you running processes and often times the only indication of this is in that panel where it will say 6/20 which means your entire shared host you and the other 3 people on it can only have 20 total.

If one of  your neighbors is using a mailing list campaign this can eat processes up fast. Nothing you can do about noisy neighbors other then move.

Just a stab in the dark from years of experience. Hope this helps:)

It says number of processes 0/100 - so should be fine at this exact moment - 100 also seem like a high value to run into any limit?

Looking at my backend and at the time when orders are made and when mail is send there seems to be some delay of many seconds in between, could this be an indication of a slow server or one who is hard pressed at times or a problem somewhere else? 

This is an example of when both mail are being sent:

Order is logged at 18:25:55

new_order mail logged at 18:26:01 (Mailalert)

order_conf mail logged at 18:26:05 (standard prestashop mail)

Which makes sense since actionValidateOrder is called in PaymentModule.php before the order_conf mail is send, but it takes 6 seconds for the first mail and another 4 seconds for the second mail log. Not sure if this is an indication of any problem?

In the danish subforum I got a reply saying it could be a problem with a module being called at actionValidateOrder and then crashing and stopping the entire process. If so it has to be random crashes since I sometimes get both mail send and sometimes only one or the other. Even then at times only order_conf is send and this is after actionValidateOrder has fired while not sending the new_order mail of the mailalert module here..

• 5 months later...

If your on shared hosting 100 processes is not for your share but the whole server ... 

Every ten minutes of someone connects to check a branded email.. that is 1 process.

Look at your cpanel version. If not most current, update it. They had a php bug with 5.6+ that was not dockering shared hosting, the fix is in the new cpanel.

Hosting is not a set it and forget it thing.