Problem with shipping configuration

Hello, so I took on this job for a customer who had a Prestashop site created by someone else. I'm quite new to Prestashop, and after a while we noticed some problems.

The biggest problem is with shipping costs. Let me describe what my customer needs.

She has a lot of different producers (27, actually) providing products for sale, but she doesn't have a warehouse.

So, if an order involves a single producer there is no problem: she'll send a courier to the producer to pick up the goods and everything will work as usual.

But if an order involves multiple producers, she needs to take this into account as far as shipping costs go, because she'll send different vehicles to pick up the goods and the costs will be almost proportional to the number of producers.

So the main need is for a module which can handle something like this: to put it simply, the module would have to make a sum of shipping costs, where each cost is referred to a particular producer. So if the order is from a single producer, we'll have for example 10€ of shipping, but if the order is from 2 producers we'll have maybe not 20 but say 18, and so on.

Is there a module around tailored for such things?

The previous website manager made her buy this module: https://www.motionseed.com/en/prestashop-modules/options-shipping-cost

It cost a lot, but I don't think it can handle the current problem. The module allows you to handle shipping cost differences based on producers, but you have to manually create a profile for each possible producer combination. With 27 producers, there are more than 100 million combinations.

I hope someone can help us with this, thanks.

Edited by DanielE (see edit history)

19 hours ago, El Patron said:

Hi, did you contact the module developer and they told you that you would need to add a million?  Maybe then can modify their work to fit your requirements.

Yes, I asked, they're going to make a quote for me.

Actually, I was thinking that the perfect modification would simply consider separate weights for each supplier and then sum the shipping expenses per supplier.

I found something like that, free code actually, but I don't think it works with Prestashop 1.7.

• Like 1

I managed to make the code work on the local version of the website. Now the cart seems to work exactly as needed.

I had to edit the classes/Cart.php file though, because overrides don't seem to work anymore with 1.7.3.

Is there a way I can make this work without modifying a core file?

I basically rewrote the getPackageShippingCost function with slight modifications to code I found here:

https://gist.github.com/mpampols/26d5780a794e698a5e12

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DanielE said:

I managed to make the code work on the local version of the website. Now the cart seems to work exactly as needed.

I had to edit the classes/Cart.php file though, because overrides don't seem to work anymore with 1.7.3.

Is there a way I can make this work without modifying a core file?

I basically rewrote the getPackageShippingCost function with slight modifications to code I found here:

https://gist.github.com/mpampols/26d5780a794e698a5e12

great job!