Getting Bad!

Tanker

I started with PS 1.6, I used it for a few websites...

then I moved to PS 1.7, I manage to use it for another few websites after dirty fixing many 500 errors and 404's because of bad path and can't find X file...

I first do a local installation on a virtual machine running Linux all basic configuration as a live server like HostGator config, Bluehost, and Godaddy, we also have a few other configuration as VPS, VPS Cloud Linux and Dedicated server so that we can replicate any real possible errors...

Then we moved the final product to a live server, we ran a few other test before release and we are done...

The problem is that on PS 1.7.2.X + we have a problem after problem not with PS itself but with it's CORE engine symfony...

Libraries out of date, libraries requiring other libraries, libraries requiring certain server configurations and so on...

As I said when install a fresh out of the box no problem!... the problem is after.

Each client require different setting, different payment getaways, different this, different that...

I think we don't expect a bulletproof system because there is no such thing, but PS 1.6 was/is way better in my list than PS 1.7, but we also have to move on a use new technologies, but if the new is not better than the old... what use do we have...

After more than 15 websites and more than 6 years of XP working with e-commerce in my personal opinion PS 1.7 is going down hill, slowly but is going...

I'm moving to OC for now.

Good luck.

Edited by Tanker (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, El Patron said:

early releases of PS 1.5/1.6 had same issues.

the hard work is testing and nobody seems to want  to do that.....

open source seems to be change some code and let the community test....

in US we call that lazy....

I also wanted to mention the same thing in my last comment (that PS testing team is not giving 100%) but I let it go because I don't want to hurt sentiments of PS testing team :)

• Confused 5

19 minutes ago, Knowband Plugins said:

I also wanted to mention the same thing in my last comment (that PS testing team is not giving 100%) but I let it go because I don't want to hurt sentiments of PS testing team :)

10% Coding 90% Testing.  I think moving to composer will help team/community pre-test better....before composer there as 'nothing'...

PrestaShop is great so great that many times I have had the courage to compare PS vs Magento, I know is crazy but 7 out of 10 agreed that PS is a great e-commerce system.

Symfony is great I use it for big web-APP's, Laravel, CI... the developer team should reconsidered having symfony under the hood if this is causing problems.

One thing that I have notices on shared host is that they have a file cap by default is 100K and PS is using 20% of it that is a lot!, I think is way too many files, the vendor alone is using 10K files, I mean it may not be relevant to all of this...

If PS don't have a test team then they should get one! and I'm sure many out here will do the leg work...

Having composer on it was a great idea! I love it!, I use composer every day!

And test, test it, test it and re re re re test it! before releasing to public.

when install it and works out of the box is a great feeling, then I go happy to the module's store and go crazy buying modules and templates woooo hoo!! I got everything, and when I install the first module BOOM! something when wrong!.. well lets fix it, done, second module(analytics). BOOM! something wrong and can't use it, find someone to fix it.. and so on... is just a chain reaction of problems that after a week of spending money and finding and fixing a client end up using something else, which something that I have seen with many clients...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, moronic said:

Then how come the 1.7 release topic has been removed? Seems like Peestashop has seen how much the criticism hurts the platform.

Exactly!!, and I'm sure that right now they are cooking something better! but that wont be possible without this kind of topics, without criticism how would they know what is wrong with it...

It works well for me under php 7.1, however under 7.2 there are still issues, so hopefully 1.7.5 will address those. My sites are working well under 1.7.4.2, but I did extensive bug fixes under test sites, clones. Wouldn't go back to 1.6 actually. However, when prestashop advertises upgrade is available it messes up everybody and is really pathetic. Realistically version 1.7 will always be too buggy to just click upgrade. And even if it works chances are that 3rd party modules won't.

Prestashop should have a warning on the upgrade page to NOT DO upgrade a published site without testing, but instead they offer it to as many poor users as possible to bug test.

Edited by jetx (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

I don't know why you wish to have the newest technology? There is nothing wrong with 1.6, it does the job and will continue to do it for many years to come.

Just because it won't be serviced anymore doesn't give me an issue, 1.6 is already fixed and bugs/security up to date, so there is no much to do here.

I will consider 1.7, lets say 3 years from now if I'm doing a site for a client. Until then I won't have any issues with 1.6.1.20.

Moving to other platforms yea good luck, every platform has it's ups and downs, 1.6 is far the best of any eCommerce platform and just for that reason it shouldn't be slammed down or abandoned.

And if you give it time and don't need to chase the latest setting PHP 7.2 etc. PrestaShop 1.7 will get as good as 1.6 is.

Stop spreading neg energy, our own community back talkning PrestaShop doesn't look nice in the eyes of new users.

Edited by nicoX (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'd like to help you out but I don't know what door your came in.

who understand ps?  they will burn down the house to get best framework, anyone that compares for instance ps performance config to 'any' other ecommerce would see clearly that 1.7 one ccc of .js/.css is state of the art, nobody has or will catch up with ps on this.

1.7 is 'far' superior to previous major releases but yea there is no reason to jump if your business is booming and you have all the features you want, but guess what?  With 1.7 template inheritance we can now 'finally' write feature rich modules that could not be created for 'all' previous versions, must like is done on shopiy 'liquid'....

I could go on and on but wait for my podcasts so I don't have to spin up shop managers/developers/etc. one at a time jajajaja

getting bad?  when one is over the head, running standalone ecommerce is not for weak or unexperienced, while easier to blame the platform maybe it's you. 

happy selling, el

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)
  • Confused 6

19 minutes ago, El Patron said:

I'd like to help you out but I don't know what door your came in.

who understand ps?  they will burn down the house to get best framework, anyone that compares for instance ps performance config to 'any' other ecommerce would see clearly that 1.7 one ccc of .js/.css is state of the art, nobody has or will catch up with ps on this.

1.7 is 'far' superior to previous major releases but yea there is no reason to jump if your business is booming and you have all the features you want, but guess what?  With 1.7 template inheritance we can now 'finally' write feature rich modules that could not be created for 'all' previous versions, must like is done on shopiy 'liquid'....

I could go on and on but wait for my podcasts so I don't have to spin up shop managers/developers/etc. one at a time jajajaja

getting bad?  when one is over the head, running standalone ecommerce is not for weak or unexperienced, while easier to blame the platform maybe it's you. 

happy selling, el

What is purpose of making large cms without features? Also social module is not working properly for what purpose is implemented? I mean is not working with default classic theme show on click youdomain.com/facebook.com/username i see this on all 1.7 versions.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, asperon said:

What is purpose of making large cms without features? Also social module is not working properly for what purpose is implemented? I mean is not working with default classic theme show on click youdomain.com/facebook.com/username i see this on all 1.7 versions.

has loads of features out of box, you saying something does not work does  not make iti so...anyone with default theme without real design then this is a hobby for them...you do not have nearly enough experience to know what is good or bad.....also I smell from you 'everything' must be free....

this is ecommerce, master it, here is community, where we ask questions to get answers, not to hear some very inexperienced person comment on what's good/bad/fugly...use the community for it's intended purpose as you don't have a reputation or experience to be helpful.

so stop whining, go out make a winning business and buy a yacht.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

59 minutes ago, El Patron said:

has loads of features out of box, you saying something does not work does  not make iti so...anyone with default theme without real design then this is a hobby for them...you do not have nearly enough experience to know what is good or bad.....also I smell from you 'everything' must be free....

this is ecommerce, master it, here is community, where we ask questions to get answers, not to hear some very inexperienced person comment on what's good/bad/fugly...use the community for it's intended purpose as you don't have a reputation or experience to be helpful.

so stop whining, go out make a winning business and buy a yacht.

So Prestashop is only for devs? users don't have a word? Good luck with them :)

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, asperon said:

no PrestaShop is run by many shop managers who are not developers but it takes hard work to build an ecommerce business, not sure how you even came to this conclusion.  for those that want simple I recommend a hosted solution like shopify.

and it's not luck, but hard work to build an successful ecommerce business,  you should get busy

• Confused 4

On 10/24/2019 at 1:08 PM, asperon said:

No, PrestaShop is for everyone who want to sale online or someone who wishes to learn how to use it...
As any eCommerce, PrestaShop has a learning curve, I remember when I first install PS 1.6... I was like -- what is thiiss!!! -- ... it toke me nearly a month to learn just the basics, by basic for me is not only how to register a new product or category... for me, basics is, products, attributes/combinations, product packages, coupons, discounts, auto-discounts, first time buyers auto-discounts, regular clients, products providers, currency, multi-language items, shipments per country, email configurations... and many more options that PS has by default and are used for almost all eCommerce...
Then you move to design, learning how to build a template was easy! at least for me, then and only then you move to modules but not before, the reason is simple, you have to make sure that your eCommerce is working with default installation, after that you go for whatever module you like, modules are use to enhance user experience...

I have seen guys that go crazy installing modules for everything!... they do a fresh install and right after they go installing modules for analytics, for carts, for coupons and what not... and then something is broke! and they have no idea what it is!, well they asume that PrestaShop is to blame... big mistake, that is why before anything else make sure is working out of the box, then move from there... step by step, it takes time and is boring.

I have had the chance to chat with some users with lots of experience(more than I do) working with PrestaShop and even they with all their XP has had  problems with PS 1.7...

Even the big o' mighty Magento has its problems, just two weeks ago I had to re-install it 3 times...

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

On 10/30/2019 at 11:42 AM, asperon said:

For first USA don't know what is a free speech you think like a gods...for second everything in ps source is a big mess so you need money for this? Fix all bugs in native modules first.

yes we do think like "we will help you" whether you want us to or not, yea we rule the pool especially in ecommece.  you say big mess, then you should be able to create a better one, or you could join github.  What people don't get about open source it's community 'tested' which sucks but unless you working with IBM or other major vendor who has open source, you stuck with free PS and buying some features, but to build an ecommerce base shop, which I dobut you have done as that's hard work, does not require a penny, peso or sea shells to get started so maybe you should get started on building a shop rather than moaning about something you don't appear to have good understanding of and guess what?  Nobody making you use it there are many other options out there unless of course you think your rant is going to magically sove anything, it won't.

also we have been doing ps for many years, we have done 'many' 1.7 shops and have not had much issue, much less than previous versions.  why anyone thinks they can come to a forum, have a very general complaint and then not listen to community is waste of everyone's time, me I don't mind schooling as others do get it,  others do not.  You don't have money for addons/themes, go make some money then or you will stay poor.

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

13 hours ago, El Patron said:

yes we do think like "we will help you" whether you want us to or not, yea we rule the pool especially in ecommece.  you say big mess, then you should be able to create a better one, or you could join github.  What people don't get about open source it's community 'tested' which sucks but unless you working with IBM or other major vendor who has open source, you stuck with free PS and buying some features, but to build an ecommerce base shop, which I dobut you have done as that's hard work, does not require a penny, peso or sea shells to get started so maybe you should get started on building a shop rather than moaning about something you don't appear to have good understanding of and guess what?  Nobody making you use it there are many other options out there unless of course you think your rant is going to magically sove anything, it won't.

also we have been doing ps for many years, we have done 'many' 1.7 shops and have not had much issue, much less than previous versions.  why anyone thinks they can come to a forum, have a very general complaint and then not listen to community is waste of everyone's time, me I don't mind schooling as others do get it,  others do not.  You don't have money for addons/themes, go make some money then or you will stay poor.

Prestashop statement is for free e-commerce not mine... I tell only for native modules when is presented by prestashop devs! I don't tell nothing about for implementing features for free i think you need listen first before everything else.

• razaro locked this topic