What files do I edit to COMPLETELY RECREATE a theme?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a completely new theme to fit my website.
I already have a .html-based site all set up. I just want to integrate PrestaShop into it.

For example, I want to use MY website design that I already made and INSERT PrestaShop's pages into my design.

Problem is, I am at a complete loss as to what files I need to edit in PrestaShop to do this.
I was considering using frames and just insert the pages that way, but I know that frames are a very frustrating method to some people.

Can anyone explain to me what files I need to edit in PrestaShop to completely customize it in width, header image, color, tables, etc?

Hi,

If you wish to change the default template, you will have to modify the prestashop css theme and change the gifs contained in the img folder of the theme.

Ann

I know how to do that already, but I need to know what options I have to use my own website design and just include PrestaShop into it.

I know a few of us are struggling with complete new designs and I think its because of the understanding.

So there are two pages footer.tpl and header.tpl can control the main blocks, header, left, centre, right and footer. OK, easy so far.

IN the themes folder are your templates (tpl files), still ok, can see how these can be changed.
In your css folder are your style rules, still understanding
In the modules, are the modules and depending what I want to do, there may be occasions where I could make changes.

What I still do not get is how to modify the home page etc. For example, in footer.tpl is the control for the right column and footer.

{$HOOK_RIGHT_COLUMN}

I know if I delete this from the template the right column will disappear and I can style the CSS to change my main content area to fill this space. But what templates control what information is actually placed on home page or category page? Does this have to be done in admin>>transplant a module or is there a homepage index page or category page you can edit directly. I know there is an id on the body for each section(category, product etc) so I can target that with CSS, but can I only modify the footer and header tpl's for the site layout and will removing HOOKS cause an issue, beyond users not being able to transplant modules there.

Also, if I had a four column layout, I guess I could in theory add the hook {$HOOK_RIGHT_COLUMN} to my third column div - would that work?

It just seems as though Prestashop is designed to be a primarily 3 columns layout with a header and footer and all pages and you simply modify your theme templates and CSS to style the elements within these pages.

However, if I can style the two templates (footer.tpl and header.tpl) as I see fit and simply add the hooks such as {$HOOK_RIGHT_COLUMN} to transplant modules into those places I want them, that may be the way to go as basically I would have four main hooks allowing modules to be placed into those areas and I can then style the CSS and theme templates to fit nice.

If someone can let me know if I am thinking in the right way, that would be appreciated

Maybe I am being a bit stupid, but really, can someone clear this up for me please