Reserve product when added to the cart.

hege

Hi all,

My problem is the follows:

in my store there are products with quantity 1.
When somebody takes the product to the cart, it is reserved for him/her, and then can continue browsing products, not worry about somebody orders it. If it is removed from the cart then it is not reserved. If the product is ordered, it is not in the store any more.

What is the best solution?

I have an idea: because there is no "out of stock" product state in my store, it could be the reserved state. in this case when somebody takes the product to the cart, the quantity is modified to zero, means reserved(out of stock for others), if removed from the cart the quantity is 1 again and can be added to cart. If the product is ordered then the state of the product is disabled.
so i need decrease and increase the product quantity when moves to the cart. The problem could be in this case that I cant order if the qty is null...
Or another idea is one more attribute - reserved:true/false - in the db for the product.

What can you suggest, how can solve my problem.

Please help, all idea or suggestions are welcomed.
regards
Gabor

Hi,

it is needed because I'll sell clothing, so if users take products to the cart, and the order price total not reaches the "free shipping", discount or coupon limit, the user can save the cart and come back later when will be some new product.
Users can remove the reservation in the first 24 hours, but if not order in 2 weeks till the first product added to the cart, the reservation will be deleted.

It could be a new module, reserve button on the order details page,
I think it is not so difficult, but I need some suggestion, how can I create this module or modification.

regards
Gabor

• 8 months later...

Would like this too. If i make a module i'll let you know. Basically you want it to add to cart but instead of showing in cart, have it showing in there my account area as a tabled list under a heading say reserved. etc. they can reserve for lets say as many as they want but for 3 days, then after 3 days from reservation puts stock back in store. Also have a check area to search for products in stock etc.

I'll do it right away!

Would like this too. If i make a module i'll let you know. Basically you want it to add to cart but instead of showing in cart, have it showing in there my account area as a tabled list under a heading say reserved. etc. they can reserve for lets say as many as they want but for 3 days, then after 3 days from reservation puts stock back in store. Also have a check area to search for products in stock etc.

I'll do it right away!

Have a button on product pages saying check and reserve! under add to cart button!

I'll do it right away!

Personally I don't think this makes good business sense at all.

The idea of having products for sale on your website is to sell them, not to reserve them for people who are unlikely to come back to complete the sale.

To tie up your stock for up to 3-days, or any amount of time for that matter, is effectively removing stock from sale that otherwise could have been sold.

Not a smart move.

Personally I don't think this makes good business sense at all.

The idea of having products for sale on your website is to sell them, not to reserve them for people who are unlikely to come back to complete the sale.

To tie up your stock for up to 3-days, or any amount of time for that matter, is effectively removing stock from sale that otherwise could have been sold.

Not a smart move.

Hmmmm. Very good point indeed. You see this is a good topic for debate which could have many pros and many cons.

In my case my partner is a professional glamour model and I have adapted prestashop to sell all of here photographic portfolios on there. In my instance products are photographs via digital download etc.

Although you have a very valid point i feel this would be beneficial to myself and my partners business. We have had popular demand for this. I did the same thing on her old site (not prestashop, before we found out the quality advantages of it) and got over $8% of sales through it.

It is there for people who need it. A scenario is. It's wednesday and your getting paid on friday. Your online and window shopping. You see a nice photo and Ooops! your not paid until saturday?

To reserve a product means yes mayby some lost sales but ends customer paranoia about out of stock issues and means the customer can reserve and pay by midnight saturday to secure there product!

Various pros and cons but on the whole i suppose it boils down to what each business needs is and would it benefit yourself and your business. In our case yes, so i am simply going to share it so others can benefit if they wish.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Im sorry if i sound abit abrupt it isnt my intentions just outlining in more detail.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I also need something that would reserve items that are put in shopping carts. At least for 30 minutes. 

All the items that someone puts in the cart should be reserved for 30 minutes from the moment they have pushed add to cart.

Is there any way this can be done? 

Maybe attach a script to the add to cart button that starts an mysql rule to set quantity to -1 for 30 minutes to the table in the data base where the quantity is put.

Any ideas on this?

My customers are heavily demanding this:(

Regards!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi,

Can someone direct me to where it is configured how long Prestashop reserves the products that customers add to the cart??
And is there a default time when they are released again? Or is it necessary to explicitly delete the abandoned carts etc or what is the common practice?

Our store has some products we dont' stock more than few pieces, so it seems that Prestashop places products out-of-stock (even though we have stock) due to people adding to cart but not purchasing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

There is no "reserved stock" in PrestaShop. What it does is, to show to the customer who have added the product in the cart, as many less than they have in cart.

It may make the wrong impression to you, that it's reserved, but it is not. It is only for the reason, so that SPECIFIC customer cannot add more to the cart that are available in stock.

You can check this yourself, by opening another window in another browser profile or in an incognito window, Do not reuse the same browser, so you are a different guest to PrestaShop. You'll see that all of your stock is available to order as another guest, while the first one still has stock visible subtracted by what they have in their own cart only.

• Like 1