Upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7 ? Good or bad?

Studio1one

12 hours ago, Studio1one said:

Hi all in forum, we think about if we are going to upgrade store to 1.7 from 1.6.

Should we or not?

Please share the good and bad experience you have.

//Patrik

I think Yes. It will be bit different initially but you will get used to it. The new Back office(1.7.4.2) is pretty nice. 

with release of 1.7.4.2 and 'just as  important' PS release of new  autoupgrade module with 1.6-->1.7 support (waiting for two years!)

upgrading client 1.5.6.0 with Leo Theme onto 1.7.4.2., our lab server is liqued web vps cloud storm running php 7.2.

status:  Looking freaking awesome.....the back office is working exceptionally well...this is pretty vanilla shop without a lot of features (that is about to change lol).  As we do also full front office theme configure (never default theme) and my 'fancy dog' other  than access denied (fixed by restting module to register to ps) the theme tools are working great.

PrestaHeroes has done more PS upgrades including 'high quality' configured theme than anyone on the planet and really missed doing this work.  It's back and we are all in.

Remember the days when you upgraded to new version that also required new theme/modules?  The autoupgrade was released 'early on' so the early adopters of 1.4/1.5/1.6 struggled.  1.7 module/theme eco is much more mature than all previous upgrade candidates.

If you want to beat your compeititor then 1.7 is ready, note: this is not wordpress!  Do not expect to 'one click' upgrade and everything will work so 'always' create a copy of your production shop  to test/learn upgrade process.

or have it done by experts, priceless.

==========

to answer question, yes 1.7 is a 'must have' ..it is flat out the best opensource 'free' platform 'now'.  PS burned down the house to create something wonderful.... the smoke has cleared...time to upgrade people...let's never speak of previous versions again. 

happy selling

el

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I can't answer to the question because are two days that I'm trying to update from 1.6.1.20 to 1.7.4.2 using one click update (last version) and the only thing I get is this  error:
Error while creating directory /../../.../.../themes/classic/assets.

Error when trying to upgrade file /themes/classic/assets.

Then the process abort and we go back to previous version. Did you experienced any problem, can you advise on this?
BTW I'm using the original boostrap theme released with 1.6 with minor changes on css
Thank you

B

6 hours ago, borisdifiore said:

Error while creating directory /../../.../.../themes/classic/assets.

Error when trying to upgrade file /themes/classic/assets.

check folder/file permissions for this path.  This can be done via FTP client and some hosting control panels.  

Typical permissions: Folder 755 Files 644  (.htaccess 664).

TIPs:

always create a development copy of your shop and run upgrade process there 'first'.  If your shop is in root, then a subdomain works great, if it's in a folder of root, i.e. domain/shop then create subdomain with folder 'shop'.   Muy importante to test upgrade on development  shop before upgrading your production shop.  Often times you can simply copy your development copy to production when upgrade success.  No need to do twice.

Always back up production files/database (and know how to restore either by downloading them or using your hosting back up system.  Then disable all autoupgrade 'backups'.  This creates a cleaner faster autoupgrade....and restoring via module can fail where manual backup will not.

Hi El Patron,

thank you for your time

the folders/path don't exist before I try to update. After I'm not able to see the folders because 1 click upgrade goes back to previous version. More when it fails the db is corrupted... Fortunately I done on the development copy..
The permission in all the versions are as you describe
I really can't understand.
May be I'll forced to stay with my 1.6.1.20

4 hours ago, borisdifiore said:

Hi El Patron,

thank you for your time

the folders/path don't exist before I try to update. After I'm not able to see the folders because 1 click upgrade goes back to previous version. More when it fails the db is corrupted... Fortunately I done on the development copy..
The permission in all the versions are as you describe
I really can't understand.
May be I'll forced to stay with my 1.6.1.20

It may make sense and I think you have the skills to pre-build and folders, maybe it is expecting the folder...I'd try that because once you go 1.7...going back to 1.6...is well, barbaric. :)

I assume you are telling upgrade to update default and switch to that theme post autoupgrade.

Note:  if you have bug and searching you find no solution it is 'highly' recommended you open a PrestaShop forge ticket 'here'.  PrestaShop monitors this closely and maybe it's fixed in other bug report they can refer you to.

El Patron,

thank you. Actually I opened a ticket, even if last time I done they where not able to help. Then the problem was to create an order as Admin, the solutions proposed where not applicable to my case. I'm forced to create an Admin order from abandoned charts, because by the normal way the button @ the end of the page is not active (even if I don't sell virtual products and I have 4 carriers enabled). I accepted this as a bug that can't be fixed (BTW in the past it was running correctly)
I haven't see 1.7 and I don't want to update if I have to miss 4 years jobs on the my site. So at the end if no solution exists I'll stay at 1.6.1.20. I'm afraid that due to the main channel actually suggest me to update to 1.7.4.2, in the future if a 1.6.1.21 will be released I'll not informed.
We'll see

Thank you once again for you time :)

Boris

16 hours ago, borisdifiore said:

El Patron,

thank you. Actually I opened a ticket, even if last time I done they where not able to help. Then the problem was to create an order as Admin, the solutions proposed where not applicable to my case. I'm forced to create an Admin order from abandoned charts, because by the normal way the button @ the end of the page is not active (even if I don't sell virtual products and I have 4 carriers enabled). I accepted this as a bug that can't be fixed (BTW in the past it was running correctly)
I haven't see 1.7 and I don't want to update if I have to miss 4 years jobs on the my site. So at the end if no solution exists I'll stay at 1.6.1.20. I'm afraid that due to the main channel actually suggest me to update to 1.7.4.2, in the future if a 1.6.1.21 will be released I'll not informed.
We'll see

Thank you once again for you time :)

Boris

Hi Boris,

I hear you!  I highly recommend  installing the 1742 into a subdomain on your hosting.  There you can work with demo data and try out those 'must have' features you require.  

here is a 1741 I had team to to 'shake and bake' 1.7.  This with high quality paid theme....

https://1741.prestahumans.com/admindemo1741  [email protected] pwd: demodemo

Note: you will not be able to add orders as shop is in DEMO mode.  But you might find it interesting to test drive.

el

Another important advice before you update PS 1.6. to PS 1.7. is to check if your server fulfills the min requirements for to run PS 1.7. you will find here:

BEST Server settings for Prestashop 1.7. tested in production - General topics - PrestaShop

For some new Ubuntu versions like 16.0.4., 18.0.4 and 19.0.4. Prestashop could have some writing/reading permissions problems on the server. In this case you should read the errors with debug mode activated, AND also the server error logs. Possibly that your provider will need to make some owner group changes on the server as well !

10 hours ago, El Patron said:

Hi Boris,

I hear you!  I highly recommend  installing the 1742 into a subdomain on your hosting.  There you can work with demo data and try out those 'must have' features you require.  

here is a 1741 I had team to to 'shake and bake' 1.7.  This with high quality paid theme....

https://1741.prestahumans.com/admindemo1741  [email protected] pwd: demodemo

Note: you will not be able to add orders as shop is in DEMO mode.  But you might find it interesting to test drive.

el

El Patron,
thank you to grant access.

I had a look it looks like great.
Actually I opened a ticket  and I'm waiting. They suggested to change permission to 0711 on a folder ,and test . Test done nothing changed

KR
Boris

Bad, dispit no solution found and trying mutli version of 1.7x the app would not work. Needless to say rollback was useless because it would not work.

"no file specified"

Without the ability to get to the maintenance are to roll back it corrupted by store front.

Had 1.6.5 for longest time. Looking for alternate solution now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, El Patron said:

1.7 is a 'must have' ..it is flat out the best opensource 'free' platform 'now'.  PS burned down the house to create something wonderful.... the smoke has cleared...time to upgrade people...let's never speak of previous versions again. 

Thank you very much for this comment !!!

I shared it with the team.

10 minutes ago, El Patron said:

note: we just finishing up a 1.7.4.2 client upgrade from 1.5.6.0.  Looking really good....1.7.4.2 with php7.2 is a bit ahead of some modules/themes but the 'serious' addon's developers are very quick to support.

Nice to here this Unfortunately I was not able to upgrade the error I reported were not solved
I'm happy you are enjog it I'll remain @ 1.6.1.20

1 minute ago, borisdifiore said:

Nice to here this Unfortunately I was not able to upgrade the error I reported were not solved
I'm happy you are enjog it I'll remain @ 1.6.1.20

upgrading ecommerce is much different than other CMS's and to be honest.  We have done more than 'anyone' and depending on many factors upgrades can be a real challenge given that old modules/themes are not compatible with 1.7.  But this was true 1.4-->1.5-->1.6

When reporting problems with autoupgrade are you using github?

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/issues

PS appears to be moving from forge to github....as I see older issues being closed and ported to github.

Yep sorry 1.7 upgrade even clean install was total loss. No option to even roll back because them main function to roll back stopped working as well.  Be Careful!! Does not see to be compatible with my server setup is only thing I can figure, unfortunate it breaks to point were cannot even troubleshoot it. Back at 1.6 was doing x1.5 series but now up to 1.6.1.20 and had to rebuild store default theme. but back up running

On 8/30/2018 at 4:13 PM, El Patron said:

upgrading ecommerce is much different than other CMS's and to be honest.  We have done more than 'anyone' and depending on many factors upgrades can be a real challenge given that old modules/themes are not compatible with 1.7.  But this was true 1.4-->1.5-->1.6

When reporting problems with autoupgrade are you using github?

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade/issues

PS appears to be moving from forge to github....as I see older issues being closed and ported to github.

They started to ask me different things also log files but then they didn't go ahead. I really don't know.
No the issue was on the forge I suppose

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2018 at 10:29 PM, El Patron said:

with release of 1.7.4.2 and 'just as  important' PS release of new  autoupgrade module with 1.6-->1.7 support (waiting for two years!)

upgrading client 1.5.6.0 with Leo Theme onto 1.7.4.2., our lab server is liqued web vps cloud storm running php 7.2.

Hi El Patron,

I'm trying to upgrade clients store from 1.6.0.9 to 7.1.4.2

The problem is, that it basically means to build the store again from scratch. I spend hundreds of hours on their current store, and now I'll have to do it all over again.

You mentioned that PS has an autoupgrade module that supports an upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7, can you send me a link ?

Also what about the theme, can it also be upgraded or they'll have to replace it, (which they REALLY don't want to do, since we worked so hard on it) ?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, josh barak said:

Hi El Patron,

I'm trying to upgrade clients store from 1.6.0.9 to 7.1.4.2

The problem is, that it basically means to build the store again from scratch. I spend hundreds of hours on their current store, and now I'll have to do it all over again.

You mentioned that PS has an autoupgrade module that supports an upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7, can you send me a link ?

Also what about the theme, can it also be upgraded or they'll have to replace it, (which they REALLY don't want to do, since we worked so hard on it) ?

Thank you!

Hi, here is link to autoupgrade github, note you can probably just update it from your module page:

https://github.com/PrestaShop/autoupgrade

Themes are not compatible so look for high quality 3rd party 'paid' theme, we like Leo Themes via addons as they are feature rich so no need to buy modules to say do menu work, etc.

Remember to always create a copy of your production shop and upgrade that.  

happy prestashopping, el