Mail notifications not working after PHP upgrade

We upgraded PHP from 5.4 to version 7.0.31 and our mail notifications stopped working (this happens at 5.6 already).

Prestashop version is 1.6.1.18

Theme Warehouse  3.8.6

and it doesn't matter if I have mail setting on "Use PHP's mail() function" or "Set my own SMTP parameters" ... mails are not going out.

... when I test sending mail using "Use PHP's mail() function" in the back-end (in Prestashop) I get confirmation that everything is fine:

"A test email has been sent to the email address you provided."

But the mail never comes... There is a log of outgoing mails in Prestashop (new orders and some other messages) that never came to these addresses. SMTP setting on the other hand gives an error.

Customers and store admin do not get any notifications. Mail was working fine if we switch back to PHP v. 5.4

We downgraded to PHP 5.6.xx and mail is still not working.

if I use "Use PHP's mail() function (recommended; works in most cases)" option and send test mail I get a message saying it was successful but mail never comes

if I use "Set my own SMTP parameters (for advanced users ONLY)" option and test it I get error message:

"Error: Please check your configuration
Unable to connect with TLS encryption"

and previously on PHP 5.4 SMTP with the same configuration was working fine.

Please help

If it said "successful" but the email never comes, that means the PHP mail() function does not works.

If it's your live site, don't use PHP mail() function to send the ecommerce emails. Your emails will be marked as Spam very soon ( Because you don't know how to configure your server as good as it should be ).

Try to use a SMTP server. I'm using Mailgun and it's free ( 10.000 emails / month). I use it on PrestaSOO, and i have never paid any dollar to Mailgun.

Perhaps my article is useful for you : Configuration Mail Prestashop with SMTP