Issues with search.php (inaccurate search)

JSSSX

Hello, 

I have been looking for almost similar subjects the whole weekend (yes) and did not find a proper working solution.

First of all, I was on 1.6.1.13, and used to use search.php from 1.6.1.9 to be able to find products using minus "-" when doing search in FO.
After upgrading to 1.6.1.20, the latest one, the original search.php is going crazy and provides hundreds of results if I search items having a "-" or minus.

I tried the old trick, with my old 1.6.1.9 search.php which helped a little bit, but I noticed that some product that should appear on search do not if their short description is surrounded by code (href, colors or whatever else than simply text).

For exemple, on my old 1.6.1.13, if I type BKR5EIX-11 I will find all the products that mention BKR5EIX-11 in their short description, long description and tags, which is perfectly normal.
But on 1.6.1.20, with original search.php, I will find anything related to BKR5EIX and anything related to 11 (hundreds even thousands of results).

If using the old trick with 1.6.1.9 search.php, the search will be better, excepted that a few items won't appear if their keywords are surrounded by code.
Weirdest part, I just noticed that everything works well on English part of shop, only French part is having this very strange behaviour.

Does anyone have any clue regarding this old and annoying issue for users who have products with special characters such as "-" or minus / dash ?

Thank you.

Exemple of code that prestashop won't index in search for BKR5EIX-11 related searches (for french language, no issue for English)

<p style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color: #000000;"><strong><span style="font-size: 12pt;">BOUGIE </span><br /><span style="font-size: 12pt;">NGK BKR5EIX-11 </span><br /><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Ref. BKR5E-11 </span></strong></span></span><br /><span style="font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; line-height: 8pt;">#6953 </span></p>
<div style="font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; line-height: 8pt;"><span style="text-decoration: underline;">Equivalences :</span> (Gamme Supérieure)</div>
<div style="font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; line-height: 8pt;"><br /><span style="color: #f5a623;"><a href="http://myshop.com/boutique/fr/bougies-ngk/562-1x-bkr5egp.html"><span style="color: #f5a623;">- NGK G-POWER PLATINUM BKR5EGP </span></a></span><br /><br /><span style="color: #2c9ffd;"><span style="color: #2c9ffd;">- NGK IRIDIUM IX BKR5EIX-11  </span></span><br /><br /><span style="color: #2445a2;"><a href="http://myshop.com/boutique/fr/bougies-ngk/351-1x-bkr5eix-11p.html"><span style="color: #2445a2;">- NGK IRIDIUM MAX BKR5EIX-11P </span></a></span><br /><br /><a href="http://myshop.com/boutique/fr/bougies-ngk/976-1x-bkr5erx-11p.html">- NGK RUTHENIUM RX BKR5ERX-11P</a></div>
<div style="font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; color: #000000; line-height: 8pt;"></div>

Note : I am on a standard prestashop theme, not modded at all excepted the css part.
The only modules I have, are reputable Revolution Slider and Finalmenu, that's it !

2018-07-30_111140.jpg

2018-07-30_111150.jpg

After investigating more, I noticed : 

- Issue NEVER happens when searches are done in English (all is indexed)

- Issue always happen in foreign language search, French in my case (some missing items even if they do have strictly the same lines of code in short description).
For strange reasons, some line are not indexed in French.

Hope someone have a clue, using search in prestashop is a real nightmare....

EDIT : From PHPMyAdmin, it looks like this : 
2018-07-30_135421.jpg.2898bde87db5f672e4a4db1cb4851724.jpg

Edited by JSSSX
adding more data (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Still the same, excepted that I noted that sometimes, yes sometimes, when saving a product it will then disappear from search index.
Then after saving again and again and again (sometimes 10 times) it may reappear on search.

Any idea about this crazy bug ?