Is it a MUST to upgrade to 1.7

josh barak

Hi,

I have a client with PrestaShop version 1.6.0.9.

If I upgrade the store to the latest 1.7.x, It's going to be a huge project of setting up the store again, since we'll have to change the theme, and who knows which modules won't work, etc.

So my question is, is it a MUST to upgrade to 1.7?

Thank you!

Hi

It is not a MUST for sure.

If your client store works good (even it is 1.6.0.9 that was beta version) with no big issues and is making profit, you do not have to upgrade just 

for sake of having latest version.  And you are right, depending of how much customization,is done, how many 3rd party modules it have and

so on 1.7 update can be lot of work. It is best to try to run on test/development server first.

• Like 1

Hello,

It depends :

Prestashop 1.6 is an old version so one day Prestashop will stop maintaining it. This means if new security issues are found they will not fix it (and you do NOT want open security issues on your shop ^^). They said somewhere that it will be maintained at least until Octobre 2018 I believe. After that date I don't know.

So you will need to update one day. The question is when: now ? late 2018 ? next year ?

Also in Prestashop 1.7 you get new features. You can see the planning on github now: https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/projects/1 . So for example in next version 1.7.5 they will add a "Buy Button", an Instagram module, improve the SEO (which was not good in some 1.7 versions) ...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

For some reason I wasn't getting notifications, so I'm seeing this replies just now.

I think we will upgrade to 1.7 even though it means replacing the theme, because my client is not very happy with the theme we currently have, and I figured why work on the theme if anyway one day I'll want to change to 1.7.

BTW I found a company for doing the upgrade prestachamps.com, does anybody have any experience with that?

Thanks

Edited by josh barak
Forgot to add a line (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-07-30 at 1:59 PM, ksaan said:

Hello,

It depends :

Prestashop 1.6 is an old version so one day Prestashop will stop maintaining it. This means if new security issues are found they will not fix it (and you do NOT want open security issues on your shop ^^). They said somewhere that it will be maintained at least until Octobre 2018 I believe. After that date I don't know.

So you will need to update one day. The question is when: now ? late 2018 ? next year ?

Also in Prestashop 1.7 you get new features. You can see the planning on github now: https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/projects/1 . So for example in next version 1.7.5 they will add a "Buy Button", an Instagram module, improve the SEO (which was not good in some 1.7 versions) ...

Most of the latest releases have come without any security fixes, as there is not many left. As well the latest updates have come very sparsly with only around 5 fixes. I don't know if it's mainly of that the platform is more or less complete or that it's not being prioriteted as I can see on github that there are some fixes by the community that has not been incorporated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-07-29 at 12:31 PM, josh barak said:

Hi,

I have a client with PrestaShop version 1.6.0.9.

If I upgrade the store to the latest 1.7.x, It's going to be a huge project of setting up the store again, since we'll have to change the theme, and who knows which modules won't work, etc.

So my question is, is it a MUST to upgrade to 1.7?

Thank you!

1.7.4.2 has still some bugs but for me it's working alright. My recommendation is that you wait one more year.