Translation files PS 1.7

I need an explanation or a guide about how works the translation system.

Why? Because I had one problem im my website. The website are translated correctly, but when I edit any string of translation in BO, the FO doesn't show the modification.

For example, in my tpl i had {l s='Add to cart' d='Shop.Theme.Actions'} and this only show the default value of the second language .. yeah, If i change the value of any string of the default language, that works, but doens't work for other languages

This bug is so annoying for me and I dont know what could be wrong

-  I cleared the cache

- I deleted the files inside app/cache/dev/smarty

- I checked the app/Resources/translations/pt-PT.xlf and  the file is not changed when I modified some string. This is normal? Where are the files with modificated strings? The values goes to db? or to a file?

• 1 year later...

Did you just clear the cache? Have you tried to recompile the template files?

I once had to do this and then it worked for me.

but I have a similar problem with translations in PS 1.7.5

I need to translate one single button, but it does not show up in the translations. My research was not very successful but I found out that the translation should be in Shop -> Theme -> Actions. It is simply not there.

When i access FTP and navigate to the following folder: "themes/SA4_pure-250/translations/en-US/"
There I can find the string i have to translate:

<file original="themes/SA4_pure-212/modules/ps_shoppingcart/ps_shoppingcart.tpl" source-language="en-US" target-language="en-US" datatype="plaintext">
    <body>
      <trans-unit id="4351cfebe4b61d8aa5efa1d020710005">
        <source>View</source>
        <target>View</target>
        <note>Context:
File: themes/SA4_pure-212/modules/ps_shoppingcart/ps_shoppingcart.tpl:60</note>
      </trans-unit>
    </body>
  </file>

But in the backend the translations are not taken from this file.

When i export the translations from the backend and open the same .xlf file, the above code is missing in the file.

I have so far found 3 places where translation files can be found:

1. app/Resources/translations/ (seems to be only for classic theme)
2. themes/<myTheme>/translations (from my theme i use)
3. translations (contains only ZIP files)

None of the above mentioned files have any impact on the translations when modifying them.

If anybody knows where to find the correct translation files (either data in the database or physical files) this would be a great help.

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, PassionX said:

Hi

Any news about that? Could you solve the problem?

regards

Hi,

My issue has been solved. It actually was an error in the template I used. Issue has been solved by the creator of the template.
He just sent me an updated version. I did not dig into the differences between the "old" and "new" version of the template.

Hi,

Our issue was this: the translations showed in the database and in the shops admin, but we have to get them out via PrestaShop export and download back into right place again and the translations started to work. Totally frustrating and unnecessary thing... 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, spacecube said:

I have so far found 3 places where translation files can be found:

1. app/Resources/translations/ (seems to be only for classic theme)
2. themes/<myTheme>/translations (from my theme i use)
3. translations (contains only ZIP files)

None of the above mentioned files have any impact on the translations when modifying them.

Exactly my case, 1.7.7.3.

Can't translate child theme in BO, although the bug was supposedly affecting before 1.7.6. And can't edit the files manually either, since all 3 locations where these identical translations are located, have no effect at all. Force compile is on, cache off.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...