Creating a Child Theme using PS 1.7.3.2

Hi I am trying to create a Child Theme based on an existing theme. I managed to get the child theme registered and inheriting the parent theme's dom structure, stylings and scripts.

The issue I am running into is, if I create a custom.css inside child-theme/assets/css it does register nor do I see any changes on the frontend from that file. I then modified the config yaml file to include: 

assets:
  use_parent_assets: true
  css:
    all:
      - id: product-extra-style
      path: assets/css/somestyles.css
      media: all
      priority: 10000

and still nothing is happening on the frontend. BUT it completely breaks the backend! Error 500 on every page of the backend. Once I remove everything from css: on down, then the backend comes back to life.

Any ideas on what's happening and how I can get this sorted out?

Thanks so much!

-S

Edited by Simetria (see edit history)

I have fixed the styles not showing up on the frontend by changing a few things in the yaml file... I changed the file name to custom.css and priority to 1000

assets:
  use_parent_assets: true
  css:
    all:
      - id: product-extra-style
      path: assets/css/custom.css
      media: all
      priority: 1000

But the backend issue still remains. Here's a more thorough explanation:
Once I have added the css: and below portion of the yaml file, saved it and went back to the backend, all is ok. I can navigate to any page with no issues. However, if I visit the theme selection page and click on the "Select This Theme" button of my child theme, it then breaks the entire backend. Not sure what and why this is happening, Even if my child theme is already selected and hit "Select This Theme" button again, it still breaks. Kinda weird. 

I really would appreciate any insight on this issue. 

Thanks,

-S

• 4 months later...