Localising a Product

Hi folks, new to the forum and to PrestaShop. I work as a web developer and a client pointed me at the site as they want to use it as a replacement to a commercial cart they have but found too limiting.

Most of their questions have been answered, bar one. They might need to restrict product sales to US or Europe.

I'll use the example of a film props company who for legal reasons can only sell replica guns to the US but not the UK where it would be a criminal offense. Can PrestaShop be configured to sell items to certain areas, or specifically to prevent sales to one country. Effectively, what is required is a white list or blacklist of countries, on a product by product basis. In the film props company example, they are allowed to sell swords, period costume and other items to the UK but not firearms.

Can this be done.

If not, is there a place where I can flag this up for future development?

TIA.

Rhoel

• 3 months later...

As mentioned in my previous post, PrestaShop doesn't have that option. It only lets you disable the "Add to cart" option for a specific country, or disable the entire shop for a specific country. It doesn't let you disable a product for a specific country, though it does let you specify a different price for each country.

The only solution I can think of is to hack PrestaShop's code. You could set the specific price of the product for the country to $0 or $1,000,000 or some value a product would never have, then add code to hide the "Add to cart" button when that price is encountered. You'd have to change it in a lot of places though.

• Like 1

Edit the product, then go to the "3. Prices" tab, click "Add a new specific price", choose the country you want to override the price for, enter the "Product price (excl. tax)", then click "Add". Do this for each product you want to specify a different price for.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As mentioned in my previous post, PrestaShop doesn't have that option. It only lets you disable the "Add to cart" option for a specific country, or disable the entire shop for a specific country. It doesn't let you disable a product for a specific country, though it does let you specify a different price for each country.

The only solution I can think of is to hack PrestaShop's code. You could set the specific price of the product for the country to $0 or $1,000,000 or some value a product would never have, then add code to hide the "Add to cart" button when that price is encountered. You'd have to change it in a lot of places though.

This sounds like a good workaround Rocky - do you think you could give a little info on the code to be added to hide the "Add to Cart" button? I'm guessing it's with the product.tpl but maybe you could give some insight.