ttoine

Contributing to PrestaShop Core should become more easy

Dear contributors, many Pull Requests from the community have been merged last week, and that's great. We would like that contributing becomes more and more easy over time, and I would like to have your feedback:

• What are your current difficulties to submit a Pull Request on PrestaShop Core repository?
  • What should we improve?
  • What documentation is missing?
  • Do you have other ideas?

Please, feel free to answer and discuss :)

What are your current difficulties to submit a Pull Request on PrestaShop Core repository?

Well, github is fu**ing hard for newcomers. I made a lot of improvement for PHP 7.2 but I can't submit it through GitHub because I just can't use it and I need to buy some tutorial to learn it.

Hello ! Here are a very helpful doc about 1st contributions to github projects :) hope it helps

https://github.com/firstcontributions/first-contributions

Here is how it starts:
"It's hard. It's always hard the first time you do something. Especially when you are collaborating, making mistakes isn't a comfortable thing. We wanted to simplify the way new open-source contributors learn & contribute for the first time.

Reading articles & watching tutorials can help, but what's better than actually doing the stuff in a practice environment? This project aims at providing guidance & simplifying the way beginners make their first contribution. If you are looking to make your first contribution, follow the steps below."

Looks promising, right ;) ?

• Like 1

am newest in presatshop , i have more difficulty to adapt with , i need more documentation about the inside of class, controller relation with database same like symfony or the php itself.

it will offer for the new developer the road to use presatshop easly

Thanks

thank you i know about this doc but is not enough, i search for more complex and details documentation

the offcial doc its soo general no specific for the used function or relation with database in this case you must spend ofr 6 months to be a beginner, and for the prestashop 1.7 its be so difficult to know the logic of develop and some issues dont work some of 1.6 

thnks for the gitter sugess may it will help me a little

my first problem is the use of file uploadfile in customer form (sign up) because the customerFormatter use settype 'file' as dynamic and cant get the file name the show in Admin Customer as pdf download :(  

Edited by Sahnoun MN (see edit history)
  • Like 1

is your problem a contribution problem ? or a problem while developing your shop?

no its a developement problem, i have problem with the form of customerForm in (customerFormatter.php) while i add some new input like file type like this 

$format['file'] = (new FormField)
            ->setName('file')
            ->setType('file')
            ->setLabel(
                $this->translator->trans(
                    'file', [], 'Shop.Forms.Labels'
                )
            )
            ->setRequired(true)
        ;

in this case how can i get name of this file(pb: cant save name in database of file variable) to used next to download this file in dashboard (backoffice - AdminCustomer) because i do it with PS1.6 but in PS1.7 cant find a way

i try to do like that for file type but isnt work -> http://prestacraft.com/adding-new-fields-to-the-registration-form-in-prestashop-1-7/

Edited by Sahnoun MN (see edit history)

then, please post a question about this problem on the forum 🙂

and I guess that you are not the first with this kind of problem, maybe there are already some questions about it?

• Thanks 1

How about making a video tutorial how to create pull request and suggest something for the newcomers? How to clone, make changes, edit them etc.

• Like 1

There are actually plenty of videos and tutorials on the web about how to use GitHub to contribute to a project.

What would be the benefit to produce a specific video for the PrestaShop project ?

I think pull request are the way to go! If you don't know how to do this search online for it.

I think good documentation is the key to success. Just starting to look into prestashop, and the first Dec docs I find is in this form.

If creating a pull request is hard, then add a link in the documentation how to create a pull request.

Or add an option to paste your code somewhere, so a more advanced developer can create the pull request.

Often, inexperienced developers do not use GitHub. And modifications from them are not needed for a serious project ;)

On 2/5/2019 at 11:05 PM, Sahnoun MN said:

the offcial doc its soo general no specific for the used function or relation with database in this case you must spend ofr 6 months to be a beginner, and for the prestashop 1.7 its be so difficult to know the logic of develop and some issues dont work some of 1.6 

The current documentation has been made for a trained reader (an experienced programmer) and this documentation is really superficial.