TemplateMonster has launched the Magento themes !

Hello,

I just recieve this message from templatemonster

We are excited to inform you that today TemplateMonster has launched the Magento themes - design products for Magento eCommerce platform.

http://www.templatemonster.com/magento-themes.php

It's not a revolution but this fact is important...
TemplateMonster have estimated that Magento enought customers to launch this offer.
May in the future... TemplateMonster has launched a Prestashop themes offer ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We tried Magento, unless you have a science degree the backend is not very user friendly.

Prestashop wins hands down, the only thing it needs is yes more selection of professional e-commence templates, our opinion is that the home page should have more on, enough to be able to draw the customer in and keep them on the site.

So I would say that YES! There is a definitely need for more professional looking templates.

;-)

Same here. Tried Magento. Looks powerful, but it's learning curve, and being such a resource hog, makes it a real pa*n in the *ss when working on a daily basis. What I do like of Magento is their graphic design, which makes it look really great at first sight.

On the other side, Prestashop is fast, scalable and easy to learn, but lacks of this eye catching look, something which you can help to improve with your templates!

Just my two prestacents ;)

• 2 months later...

A late reaction from my part: Most TemplateMonster Templates are monsters looking at their coding.

I would personly think twice before bying a Template from them.
I must say that I only have experience with osCommerce "templates" wich are basicly not real templates but re-coded distributions (or should I say: Forks).

Just my 2cents.

We tried Magento, unless you have a science degree the backend is not very user friendly.

I'm not saying that magento is better... I'm just saying that it's more popular at the moment.

Before we start producing presta templates or templates for any other CMS we must be sure that there are enough people who will buy them. We are not open source but a commercial organization. I'm glad to hear that some of you are interested in our templates but the fact is that we need some numbers (downloads, etc.) before we start with it. That's why I asked for them in my first post... If you know that someone from the core developers and they are also interested - please get me in touch so we could discuss possible cooperation.

I would personly think twice before bying a Template from them.
I must say that I only have experience with osCommerce “templates” wich are basicly not real templates but re-coded distributions (or should I say: Forks).

Well, in case with OsCommerce I see no other way to change the design except changing HTML inside the engine as we all know there is no template system in the original engine (without contributions). And I'm afraid they won't add it in the third release... Magento it is totally different, they follow so called Model View Controller design pattern, that allows you to make almost any changes with out hacking, forking and recoding. Plus we use blank interface as the basis for our templates that makes our templates compatible from older to newer versions of magento by upgrading the blank interface through magento connect.

Dear template monster (if I can call you by your first name),
prestashop may be the right platform to develop for, as their platform is so simple that it brings many non-IT professionals to the world of e-commerce. These people (that I'm a proud member) do want a fast and easy solution that they can control. Programming a template is certainly a burden for them (as it is for me), and I do not believe that a 120 $ fee would refrain them from having their own online shop.
Additionnally, having templates available for Prestashop may probably help the distribution of this really good platform. In general, users of Magento are able to create CSS, which may not be the case for all Presta's. There's certainly a niche market for Template Monster.

Best regards

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Yes but why are the ecommerce designers not including a 'template design' package as standard. Even if its only to change the standard template colours.

I have been on Oscomerce for 3 years and have never managed to do a template. Really got frustrated with it.

So I have had a go with Magento, and after partitioning my drive and install Ubungo - linux, to get Magento running,(because you are unable to upload images in XP etc etc). I have finally ditched that after 4 weeks of real hair pulling.

Onto another ecommerce package. I must say one of the smoothest installations I have ever done. But yet again no 'template designer'. Not even a selection of a few standard templates. I have been on just 1 week, and have come up with stumbling blocks (see my recent forum topics).

I am just getting too old I think to keep re inventing the wheel. Come on PrestaShop get a template designer package, and be quick about it.

I've used so many carts from Osc (even created a music store template for it), Miva Merchant and Magento.

As a matter of fact I scrapped my Petstore project in Magento because it was taken forever to really get anywhere. I really love PrestaShop because I was able to skin it in about 2 days after installing it.

The only thing that I see that's really keeping Prestashop from growing as fast as Magento is a lack of Authorize and shipping modules.

Out of the gate Magento comes installed with Authorizenet as well as modules for USPS, UPS, FedEX and DHL.

If Prestashop had that kind of support out the gate.... combined with it's ease of use... growth would off the hook!!!!

Hey ill jump in on this too, i also tried every open source cart on the market.

i wont lie, magento was nice... it was also the biggest footprint ive ever seen and for its size it didnt really do much other than look really nice.

Templatemonster you guys rock as far as professional web templates go! Templatemonster is the site that is used to benchmark set the standard for webdesign and dev. You would be crazy to not get on board with this growing community given the flexibilty and sea of endless possibility that this opensource cart offers!

Prestashop is great and is going to greater places, it will end up on a level where Magento will only dream about.

The growth of Magento at the moment is just a face value if it can't keep a good work that eventually users will ditch it. I used it in past one year and I do like many of its features such as SEO, Google Base, many payment module options, many checkout options such as checkout as guest, etc., but the big problem for me and many other users is that it looks like Magento has taken less care on the version quality control and keeps rolling out frequent upgrades that solves old bug issues but introduces much more vicious new bugs which would get you really frenzy each time when you upgrade and it also bloats the software platform bigger and sucks in more resources. Anyway, users will have a final say which eCommerce platform will win out.