id_guest, id_customer and 9,999,999,999

A-Z Hosting

Well I have been pretty busy getting to know PrestaShop over the last week. I do have a question though.

What happens when we reach an id_guest of 9,999,999,999? From what I can tell from the functionality and tables these aren't going to be reusable no?

Could we be looking at a Y2K type issue? Guess if we only get to 9,999,999,998 by 2032 we should be ok (*nix geeks know what I'm talking about).

If you have one new guest every second you still have spare IDs the next 7600 years.

But it seems like the PHP/SQL interface fails earlier since numbers tend to be stored as 32-bit numbers internally. The sun becomes a red giant in 5 billion years, and all life on Earth evaporates. You better watch out ;-)

/Kjeld

I swear I had a point but maybe I need to stop posting at 2am. My point being I think that the id_guest shouldn't just simply convert to the id_customer. That way the id_guests can be reset and reused while id_customer increments only for valid visitors who've created their customer details. Thus id_guest 99999 creates account and becomes customer 99. The more conservative the better. Keeps the bits and the management down to a minimum if you ask me.

As for the y2k statement what I was referring to was the issue of not thinking it all through during initial concept.

Hope you don't mind I tried to make a little fun.

But indeed the id_guest is not used as id_customer when somebody registers. In my shop the current id_guest is 39728 while the current id_customer is 514. And not even all the customers buy something. Wow, what a lousy conversion rate...

/Kjeld

I don't mind at all. I am very thick skinned.

Hmmmmmm... I better go back and look at those queries again then. I got the impression the value was carried over. My bad perhaps. I guess you have the novelty of seeing those two tables in action. You're right... not a great conversion rate. ;-)