Why won't ajax cart work with jQuery > 1.2.6?

MrBaseball34

I'm trying to use jQuery 1.3.2 for one thing in a module and it craps up the ajax cart.
The items still get added to the cart, there is just no animation and the cart block is not updated.

Any ideas as to why the ajax cart is so reliant on 1.2.6 version of jQuery?

Why is it so difficult to upgrade jQuery, it is usually backwards compatible.

I think the major problem is not with thickbox or a couple of other jQuery plugins that are outdated but it is with the fact that they modified them so heavily to work with the PS stuff. If they had modified the PS stuff to work with the plugins as they were built, it wouldn't be so difficult to change out.

I took a quick look yesterday and there are so many hooks into the jQuery stuff it is not funny. And for them to not make it forwardly compatible, which jQuery should allow them to do, is just plain ludicrous.

They did not follow jQuery architectural guidelines when they modified the plugins to work with their stuff thus there is no way to just plug and play like you should be able to do with jQuery.

Here's hoping they get their collective heads out of their a$$es and fix this. jQuery 1.2.6 is over 2 1/2 yrs old, rather ancient by internet time.

Patric, if you monitor this, here are some suggestions...
Replace these:
ThickBox with ColorBox
TableDnD with DragTable
Ajax File Upload with jqUploader or Form Plugin

There are newer versions available for these plugins:
Interface Elements
idTabs
jqZoom
jQuery Serial Scroll
TypeWatch

There are newer versions available for these plugins:
Interface Elements
idTabs
jqZoom
jQuery Serial Scroll
TypeWatch

Ya about 4 of those were in the 5 that I gave up on.

Yes the secret to using new cool technology is to build the cart around the technology and not visaversa. That allows it to be forward compatible in a PNP fashion. I so wish I could have been on the first whiteboard team for prestashop. There are a directions I would have went that they didn't. Such as sessions instead of cookies. But that discussion is for another forum.

Overall they did a good job though. Just a few concept kinks.