Image problems after upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6

I've been testing out an upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.6.1.18 on a development site, but I'm having trouble getting the images to work right. I have read a lot of different advice in the forums, but nothing has exactly worked and some of it seems old or outdated. Here are some details:

I have run the 1-click upgrade successfully. I switch over to a custom theme. I go to images and try moving to the new structure, but get a message about 8000+ errors with the original image missing or empty, ie, not moved to new structure. The original image IS in the /img/p/ directory.

I have tried this with the legacy file systems set to both yes and no. Cache is turned off, friendly URLs are turned off, Smarty is set to force compilation. I have also tried regenerating product images (home_default) in particular, but that usually results in an "[An error occurred while processing this directive]". 

Is there any foolproof way to both regenerate and move images to the new structure? Or does it depend very much on what version you are coming from? Is there an order that things should be done in? Ie, regenerate thumbnails and then move images? Or the reverse? And how can I tell what image sizes are necessary for the default_theme that Prestashop 1.6.18 uses?

Thanks for any advice. The upgrade has not been smooth and I'm trying not to lose it over the images.

I have no clue if this would work or not, but if it were me I would try and upgrade to a lower version like 1.6.0.5 first, then upgrade that to 1.6.1.18.  Or maybe even upgrade to 1.5.6.3, then to 1.6.0.5, then to 1.6.1.18.  Try smaller upgrades, see if they work before moving on.

Edited by SLiCK_303 (see edit history)